Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Moving video card to other PCI-e slot.

I posted here some time ago asking about what was involved with moving a sound card, and the answer was to just move it. That worked OK.Is it that same with a video card? I have a 7950GT, and have found that the (blue) slot that I have it in does not support dual 16-bit video (I run 2 monitors), but the other (black) PCI-e slot does (from the asus forum). Can I just move the video card? Or am I better uninstalling, moving the re-installing?Thanks- Bruce.

Guest wayupthere

Hmm are you sure about that Bruce, because the A8N32-SLI Deluxe houses the nForce4 SLI X16 chipset, which mean that BOTH PCIe slots (black and Blue) get the full bandwidth of 16 lanes,enabling both GPUs to get the full 16x bandwidth.

Hi Davis,The clip from the asus forum (motherboards --> A8N32-SLI Deluxe is:"Primary Graphics Adaptor: Should be set so your primary video card slot is listed first. I only have one card and it's in the bottom slot - the top PCIe slot is PciE1. This setting does make a difference - I had stability problems when it was set at default with PciE1 first.Edit: For those of you installing a dual graphics card (i.e., the nVidia 7950) you need to put it in the LOWER (black) slot to get dual x16 graphics."The 7950 is what I have- which is why my question :)Thanks for any additional info.Bruce.

Guest wayupthere

Hmm oh ok ic.. Well in general Both give the full 16 Bandwith, so in your case, if you put the GPU in either one it "should" work, as upon boot this BIOS shoud detect which slot it's in and Windows should also find it like it does any other GPU. So porting it over to the other slot shouldn't pose any issues.