Sign in to follow this  
geoffco

Two questions: pagefiles and GPU Thermal levels...

Hi,These may be obvious to those in the know... Dr. Google didn't manage to help too much so I thought I'd ask here:(1) I have two hard drives, one for XP, work related software etc and one for FS + addons. They are not in any type of RAID array. I have the pagefile set to 4Gb but on which drive should I keep it for best FS performance? What about overall (non FS) performance? I can find approximately equal numbers of articles in support of each option!(2) I have a Gainward 7900GS AGP 512Mb graphics card and it is running at 530/1500MHz without problems. I have monitored it's temperature and never seen it go above 60-65degrees. However, I have just noticed that the event viewer log has a number of errors from "nv" which say "Silent Running: rising temperature caused level transition: L2 -> L1". I don't see any performance degredation but it annoys me all the same as I don't understand why this is happening when the card is supposed to have a slowdown threshold of over 100degrees - a temperature which it has certainly not reached! Any ideas if this can be solved? stopped?I should probably just forget it and leave it alone unless I actually find real problems but I guess the reason my career is in research is that I can't help but mess with stuff until I understand it, break it or both ;)Cheers,Geoff

Guest wayupthere

Hi Geoff,1. Your pagefile is best left "System-Managed" IMO. That said, in general if you mess with it yourself, it should 2.5 times the size of your RAM. And its best set, in FSs case, on whatever drive, as long as its NOT on the FS drive itself (or any intensely used drive, because it will slow down the drive used, when paging).Also remember, when you do move it away from the OS-drive ( c: ), to make a small partition on the C: drive, with a size of 2mb-50mb, you need to do so, because if you don't, Windows will still create a page file on C:, regardless of where you put yours.2.Its not that big of an error as long as you don't see any visual degradation or corruption.errors and what not, in some cases its even been known to be a missreport from the Eventmanager itself (although a cant vouch for that) if thats your case.In any case can you give me the Event-ID that you get.?

Thanks Davis,The event id is 110. I don't really know if there is any performance degredtion or not... I'll have a look at the log every time there is a serious framerate hit in fs and see if it correlates...I have to admit you've confused me with your pagefile advice: RAM + 10/11Mb which would be 2059Mb - ok, but then in brackets you wrote 2.5 x RAM which is 5120Mb... which do you mean or have I just lost the plot? I'd thought (read somewhere a long time ago) that you need to keep the pagefile as a set size to avoid fragmentation and that it should be 2 x RAM... As for location, I guessed that in my case the system drive would be the best home for it.Cheers,Geoff

Guest wayupthere

2.5 times the size of your RAM Geoff, sorry, typing too fast :(.As far as the Event, could be two things, might be a driver issue (nvidia is well know lately for driver-issues)or try a few benchmarks, record the temps, and see what temps you reach under load to see if you are actually overheating the card. If so, check the GPU fan, and surrounding area for possible cables that disrupt the airflow to it, and check for dust, maybe apply a new layer of thermal paste while your at it.

Ok, 5120 it is then, cheers for that. I'll run some benchmarks and watch the temps if I find some time at the weekend - probably run 3DMark06 a few times as that really hurts the machine ;)I don't think dust or obstruction are likely to be an issue as I rebuilt this machine into a new case less than a month ago and was careful with my cable routing etc. Also the card is new so it should be fine... If the stock cooler on the card just isn't up to my demands I'll junk it and stick the GFX into my water cooling system - will probably do this eventually anyway when I next feel like tinkering...Cheers,Geoff