Sign in to follow this  
paulbakeman

Please help with new system problems...

Hello All,I really don't know where else to turn with this, so I'm hoping that someone can offer some advice. Here's the deal: I just put together a new system last night with the following specs:intel Core 2 Duo 2.66750w PSUASUS Striker Extreme 680i 775 mobo2 gig ram (Corsair TWIN2X)nVidia 8800 GTX 756 mb video (EVGA)500 Gb Western Digital HD75 Gb Western Digital HD "Raptor" (runs at 10,000 rpm)Sony DVD-Rom driveSony DVD burnerWindows Vista Home PremiumAfter I hooked everything up, I had some initial boot problems (mainly, the screen just froze on the initial "boot" screen, and I had to push the reset button to get it to try again). I was able to get into the BIOS setup, and I changed the boot order to boot from the DVD-ROM first. Good. Now the drive spools up and the Vista routine starts. I can only get as as far as the screen where it presents you with your hard drive choices. Windows recognizes both drives (the 75 gig drive is Disk 0, and the 500 gig is disk 1).When I select the second, 500 gig disk to install windows to (clean install since this is a brand new syustem), a message appears saying "This computer's harware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."I select the drive anyway, click "next," then get the message "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation." I can get no further. I have also intermittently gotten a blue screen with varying messages about checking harware settings, etc. Not sure about that.I do not have the disk drives set in any kind of RAID config, just two drives sitting side by side. I did phyically install both drives with the SATA cables for both data and power. I also disabled the floppy drive in the BIOS (I actually don't have a floppy installed, but the BIOS showed one). Any ideas?? Thanks!!Paul

Guest wayupthere

Hmm ok.. well it seems that your missing a SATA driver. Confirm that in the bios, SATA is setup, and during the install you can "see" your drives but you "cant" install onto them..Correct?.