Sign in to follow this  
Guest krswen

memory upgrade question

Guest krswen

Yesterday I was running FSX (SP1) with a little memory usage utility which showed a peak of 1.76GB. I have two sticks of Corsair CM2X1024-6400 on the board now. I'm about to add some complex aircraft (PMDG 747 and LVLD 767), ASX and X-graphics and FS2Crew when available.Should I put in another couple sticks? I've read that two more 1GB sticks would be pointless since most (or all) of the last GB would not be available to MSFS with 32bit XP. I haven't been able to find CM2X512-6400 anywhere. What can I use instead that would be compatible?Or, am I concerned unnecessarily?

Guest baksteen33

Hi, AFAIK, a PCI-e system's GPU memory 'steals' the same amount of physical memory. 2GB + a 512MB GPU = 1.5GB left for OS and i.e. FSX. IMHO, 3GB is the perfect combination on the AMD64/DDR2/32-bit side of life --> 6 mem-banks are occupied in total, allowing i.e. 1T instead of 2 (Command Rate/bios), delta perf = ca 8%. A 3rd GB, so to say, gives the GPU room to breath without taking anything away from other important processes. ;-) Maybe this helps understand why certain SLi configs or GPUs with enormous amounts of RAM might be counter-productive? Two 786MB cards in SLi in a 2GB system doesn't leave much headroom for the rest... ;-) Personally, I'ld remove one of them and give that mem back to the rest. Here's where 64-bit systems might come in handy? ;-) I hope you don't mind if I put it this bluntly, for me, 32-bit simming will be pointless in 10-12 months. I can't see how we'll be able to run FS, map hardware, run an OS in 3GBs. Let alone 32-bit Vista... ;-) Under XP64/4GB, I've had the whole thing over 2GB a couple of times, not very often but nevertheless. I'm not too convinced this will be reduced by a DX10 FSX version... :-) Anyway, 1GB DDR2 modules are mostly double-sided and 512MBs are usually single-sided, 2 of each is 6 banks in total = the ideal mem-config for your FlyTendo (IMO). :-) Hope this adds to thoughts and kind regards Jaap PS, there's an identical limitation on DDR(1) AMD64 systems, however, 512MB are mostly double-banked so 1T usually is impossible @ 8 banks.

Guest krswen

Thanks for the reply. Turns out by D/L the latest M/B docs I was able to find the correct 512MB configuration. Just ordered them. When they come I'll try your timing change.