Sign in to follow this  
Guest rich97

Sound stutters as well?

Guest rich97

Can anyone help? I recently upgraded to an 8800GTS 640MB card. After upgrading, when my video stutters, my sound also stutters. This did not happen before I upgraded my graphics card. I have already updated to the newest drivers.My system specs:Core 2 Duo E6700 2.67GHz with 2MB ramNvidia 8800 GTS 640MBSound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound Card Thanks in advance.

Hi,Don't know if this applies to PCI-express (but I'd guess it might): The analogous situation that I've seen before comes from conflicts between the PCI sound card and the graphics card (in my case, AGP) - not necessarily conflicts you'd find by looking in device manger. To see if that is the case, try moving the soundcard to a different PCI slot - it might cure the problem. First though, it might be worth opening up the case and just re-seating both cards just in case you knocked something when you were putting it together...... Now someone who knows about PCI-e and the 88xx series cards can porbably tell you the real answer ;)Geoff

Guest wayupthere

Hi rich,What brand of Mobo do you use.?

Guest rich97

I will have to check on my motherboard. It's a Dell Dimension 9200 that I received 10/31/2007. I don't know if that means it's a Dell or...?

Guest baksteen33

Hi Rich, if you can't access such details easily, perhaps post/attach your dxdiag log here? Case dxdiag is an unfamiliar term, search for it in 'Help and Support'. Hope this helps, kind regards Jaap

Guest rich97

Thanks for the suggestion. Here is my information. My apologies if I have posted too much.If tried a different sound card but the problems persist. It must be something to do with the 8800 GTS. I have to figure out what it's conflicting with. Any help in the meantime would be appreciated though!.------------------System Information------------------Time of this report: 7/12/2007, 19:44:21 Operating System: Windows Vista

Guest baksteen33

Hi Rich, a couple of things stand out as far as I would dare to judge. For example:------------DxDiag Notes------------Display Tab 1: The file nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.Sound Tab 1: The file ctaud2k.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.Sound Tab 2: The file ctaud2k.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.Input Tab: No problems found.Or Name: Intel® P965/G965 Processor to I/O Controller - 29A0Device ID: PCIVEN_8086&DEV_29A0&SUBSYS_01DB1028&REV_023&172E68DD&0&00Driver: n/aOrName: Intel® ICH8 Family SMBus Controller - 283EDevice ID: PCIVEN_8086&DEV_283E&SUBSYS_01DB1028&REV_023&172E68DD&0&FBDriver: n/a - Looks a bit like a 'driver stuff-up mixed with beta'. Specially no driver for the SMB bus (they're part of the mainboard/chipset drivers). Check Intel.com for updates. Implementing certain drivers in the aftermaths can be 'slightly' troublesome. Perhaps also check whether Dell has bios updates etc. - In your OP you said Creative xFi, in the log there are only mentions of an Audigy2. Maybe that's due to the swap? - IMHO, 2GB RAM is not good enough for FSX & Vista in combination with a 512MB or greater GPU, you might want to plug a 3rd GB? 4-500MB for Vista plus 700 for hardware mapping currently leaves you with ca 800 for FSX. ;-) Hope this adds to thoughts, kind regards Jaap

Guest rich97

Update... I've downloaded and ran the World In Conflict demo and am not experiencing the same problems. This may be FSX specific... I am in the process of trying more demos but any suggestions in the meantime will be welcomed.Thank you Baksteen for your input as it is much appreciated.

Guest rich97

I don't understand why I would have these problems in FSX but not in any other games.Anyone?

Guest baksteen33

Hi Rich, maybe because FSX is the most resource hungry? The next closest I've seen lately is the newest Colin McRae. Anyhow, did you check the mainboard drivers etc? If you go to the Control Panel --> System --> Hardware Tab: Any question or other marks? IRQ sharing? If FSX is all you're interested in, my 'quick and dirty fix' :-) would be to replace Vista by XP and await the next 6-12 months. Particularly if you don't like to experiment. Geof's thread in the FSX forum maybe says it all? Driver and configuration issues aside, '1.4GB remaining' might be a bit narrow to run FSX & Vista together? Vista certainly is driving the DRAM makers. It's a pity Intel CPUs don't have inbuilt memory controllers... Yet... :-) Cheers and kind regards Jaap

Guest rich97

I've experimented with everything. It's gotta be the card if I'm the only one having this problem. I thought having 640MB RAM on the video card would take some of the pressure off of my system?I've checked the IRQs and the only way I can resolve a conflict (if that is the problem) is to change card slots but I've tried all of that.

Guest baksteen33

Well, assuming you upgraded from a GPU with less RAM, you increased the pressure on your system RAM... ;-) Anyhow, everything remains hypothetical until the driver questions have been adressed. An eventual lack of sys-RAM can easily be temporarily compensated by sliders. ;-) Kind regards Jaap

Guest rich97

I'm going to try Battlefield 2142 and if that runs well then I'll assume it's FSX needing more system resources...!

Guest rich97

Battlefield 2142 runs great on full detail -- no problems with video or audio. D.I.R.T. demo runs great as well.World in Conflict Beta runs a bit stuttery but I think I need to tweak some stuff.iTunes however, crackles a bit when windows open and close.ANd FSX continues to have problems...

Guest rich97

Full Vista reinstall and addition of 2GB Ram does not help. I tried it after installing FSX but before SP1 and the problem was almost non-existent. After upgrading to SP1, the problem came back.