Sign in to follow this  
Guest alex_m

Upgrade problem: graphics card & PS

Guest j-mo

I am having a problem with connections from a new power supply.I recently bought a new computer: HP m8020n. Came with C2D E6420, 2GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM, Windows Vista Home Premium. Also a nVIDIA GeForce 7350 LE, which I want to upgrade.Bought a 8800 GTS (320 mb). Got a 430W PS (26 on the +12) which is supposed to be enough for the card.The problem I am having is with the connections to the hard drives. There are two (SATA- 320GB ech)), but the distance between them is greater than the distance between the connectors from the power supply, so I can only connect power to either one, but not both.I am looking for a SATA extension, but I was wondering- shouldn't I be able to at least start up the computer? I tried connecting to each hard drive, but I get nothing. Or must both HDs be connected?I verified multiple times that the plugs are indeed connected. Or am I missing something?Thanks!

Hi,This is a guess but if your two HDDs have been configured in a RAID array then they will both need to be running in order to work properly... You should be able to check in the BIOS that one or more disks are present on the SATA connectors though.Having built a computer less than 24hrs ago I know very well what a pain it is to find something just doesn't quite reach where you want it! Seems suprising thouhgh that your power supply only came with SATA connectors on one line. I don't know if SATA power extenders exist but I'm sure they do. If it was me, I'd go for a Standard 4-Pin to SATA power adapter since these are readily available and I'd be really suprised if you don't have any 4-pin plugs free!...alternatively, might you be able to move the drives so they are close enough together?Geoff

Guest wayupthere

Hey Alex,Well all about SATA go here: http://www.satagear.com I use that store all the time, good things good service.And as to >but I was wondering- shouldn't I be able to at least start up the computer? I tried connecting to each hard drive, but I get nothing. Or must both HDs be connected?Even if you have two, connecting them separately should work (assuming you connected both the data and power cable). Now what SATA version are they SATA or SATA2? And have you properly configured your BIOS (disable RAID). BTW, did the SATA drives come with the system or did you buy them aftermarket?, if so you *might* need a BIOS update if they aren't being recognized.

Guest j-mo

Thanks for the replies. Turns out the power supply was bad! Exchanged it for a 500W and installed it with the graphics card last night. All is well.Next: figuring out the best settings for my system (oh, joy!).