Sign in to follow this  
Guest SAS884

Finaly have the money for a new PC.

Guest SAS884

HII have been saving a couple of month to upgrade my old pc to this one:And before I order it I would appreciate to hear any suggestion on the system.Am planning to use it for FS9 and to run Project Magenta MCP/Upper EICAS along with MSFS.I will fly FSX on it in the future,but for now am just going to fly FS9.Will it be sufficient? Any suggestion on changing some part?Cooler Master Stacker 831 Silver, 2x12cm fan, aluminum,Hiper N

Guest wayupthere

Hi Martin,I dont know that PSU so If you read good things about it I guess its fine. My take, get a nice one like the Corsair HX620. As for the rest,Looks all good except for your RAM, that RAM does only go up to 667MHz (PC-5300). Now if you intend to overclock your E6600, you will soon run into the RAM barrier, wanting to run atleast 3.2GHz will require you to get atleast 800MHz RAM (PC-6400). When working with your higher FSB+Multiplier settings 667 wont cut it. I you want to clock even higher than 3.2 go for even higher rated RAM than 800MHz, like 1066MHz (PC2-8500) they will give you even more tweaking freedom.

Guest baksteen33

Heya >>Asus P5K, P35, Socket-775, DDR2, ATX, GbLAN, PCI-Ex16,<>Kingston ValueR. DDR2 PC5300 4096MB CL5,Kingston ValueR. DDR2 PC5300 4096MB CL5,<>XFX GeForce 8800GTX 600M 768MB XT GDDR3 ,PCI-Express,2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP,600/1900Mhz,<8 months... :-( Now, where are my monthly ATI updates? :-) Anyhow, the most important GPU-detail remains the exact screen config. FWIW, over here and acc to MemStatus, a single outside FS9-view hardly ever uses beyond 180MB GPU-RAM. A 21" TFT @ 1680x (when not beaming). >>Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2,<

Jaap, I'm piecing together a new system as well. I read a lot of reviews on the P35 motherboards and have read that the ASUS boards run pretty hot. I have an ASUS now but I have pretty much decided on the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R which will support DDR2 and DDR3. You might want to have a look at the Gigabyte line of P35 boards. Craig

Guest wayupthere

Craig,While true that the Asus runs hottter than the GB, it does not negatively influence the boards lifetime and/or performance. The Asus however does a better job during benchmarks and overall day to day use,and there are a couple of things about the GigaByte that might not be attractive. For instance the lack of a second PCIe x16 slot so no crossfire/SLI whatever you want to call it,there are 3 PCI x1 slots instead.. now you tell me, do you own any PCIe x1 card? let alone three, IMHO they should have removed 2 x1 slots and put another x16 inthere.. besides the CPU fan connector there are only 2 more 3pin connectors, and you cant get the FSB over 450ish. Now if one is going to invest in an Intel CPU 1333Mhz which automatically stands for overclocking,(very important in combo with DDR3 to get the max performance out of them right now) atleast (75%+ according to latest reports of Core2 user have OC'ed their system to some ammount) Now it would NOT be a smart move since such a low FSB barrier doesnt warrent the price you pay for it.DDR2 vs DDR3, Price, Latency, Smart or not smart choice right now or not etc..DDR2 is/averages around 5-5-5 and DDR3 stands at 9-9-9 so the only reason you would really notice an increase speed in memory is when you overclock the modules significantly, thus reducing the latencies. However you also need to increase the overclock your CPU significantly to breaks those barriers. The average user will not notice the difference whether they have DDR2 or DDR3 in their system.As far as the DDR3 if you are NOT a die-hard overclocker then right now DDR3 is NOT for you and one should stick with DDR2 for a while longer which is more than sufficient, why?.. first the price of DDR3 now is not attractive or even smart for normal users, its just too expensive if your not going to overclock and use its full potential.More about DDR3, stock latency-wise status they are the same as when we went from DDR to DDR2. Meaning the wait times with data transfer between Chipset/CPU/DIMMS is the same on stock.. You can reach higher speeds with DDR3, but you will need to learn about latencies what they do, and how to overcome the latency barriers, inorder for one to really decide/justify the high costs of the modules (right now), to either go with DDR3 now or stick with DDR2 for a while longer.The other thing is that that GigaByte your referring two is a combined-DIMM mobo. Know though that you'll only have 2 DDR3 slots, when DDR3 becomes standard you CAN NOT put extra DDR3 DIMMS into the other slots, they are not the same standard, so you have a mobo with unused DIMM slots. IMO if you really want to use DDR3 and know how to get the best bang for buck out of them, get a DEDICATED DDR3 P35/X38 chipset mobo (when available). Why choose for a mobo now, which in the end will let you end up with DIMM slot(s) you cant use. If they would eventually would develop a bridge or some sort, in order for the user to use the DDR2 slots with DDR3, i would see that as a good thing, sort of like what Asrock did with the 939 to AM2 bridge. However there is no indication of that right now, so it would not be a wise thing to do, or smart for that matter,.. pay for something you can't use is never a good thing..

Guest SAS884

Thanx for all the advise..:)Will do a few changes before I put in the order for the new PC.(quote)Anyhow, the most important GPU-detail remains the exact screenconfig. FWIW, over here and acc to MemStatus, a single outsideFS9-view hardly ever uses beyond 180MB GPU-RAM. A 21" TFT @1680x (when not beaming). (quote)I thought that I would need a strong graphich card becuse am going to run TripleHead2GO with 3 projectors for my cockpit project.XFX GeForce 8800GTX 600M 768MB XT GDDR3 will this do the jobb?What goes up, must come down, one way or the other. Safe Landings. Martin My B737NG Project.http://www.freewebs.com/boeing737ng/

Guest baksteen33

Hi Martin, strong GPUs and loads of MBs are two different aspects. Although you might want a strong GPU for the resolution, that single view will likely not use too many MBs in FS9. FSX is a different ballpark. If you already have the TH2G and the beamers (or any kind of display with identical resolutions), MemStatus will tell you exactly how much it uses. Case you do so, I would disconnect further displays whilst measuring. Perhaps also make the test flights long enough to allow sound conclusions? Are you going to connect more displays to the same GPU? IMHO, you are a very good example of how important it is to plan around the visual expectations. ;-) As Davis pointed out, it might be better to get a board with at least 2 fast PCI-e slots? I also ask so because it might be better to the run the TH2G and the 3 beamers off a single GPU? Anyway, this definitely goes beyond my knowledge or practical experience - one beamer 'only' here... :-) Hope this adds to thoughts nevertheless, kind regards Jaap

Guest baksteen33

Hi Graig and Davis, I'll just hack about a couple of experiences in the last couple of days and weeks. Those who might have followed the discussions here know I was waiting for 2GB DDR2 module prices to hit 'acceptable' levels. Not too long go this was the case, so I started assembling something which is supposed to be DX10 capable... Got a X2900XT at a super price not realising I needed a specific - of course super expensive! :-) - PSU with an 8-pin connector to use Overdrive

Guest baksteen33

Apropos perf, comparing the AMD6000 with the Q6600 (guess it identical for the C2D6600 too), at stock speeds, I see a slight advantage in general feel for AMD64. Well, that's an allover impression I got (copying files, etc). Maybe it's the inbuilt memory controller? Anyhow, it's when you overclock those Cores that they start to fly. HST, Davis, I would l

Guest SAS884

Hello all.I have change the setup to this and will put in the order later today, do you have any suggestion that I would change?(the differnts in price between the duo and Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz is only 80$, should I stick with the duo or get the Quad?)And thanx for the all the help.:)Hiper N

Guest wayupthere

Hi Martin,That does look better, although again, RAM wise. Your getting 4GB, note though that you will still need a 64bit OS, 32bit OS's will not see/use more than 3071MBish.As far as E vs. Overclocked E's are very nice and go very far, Qs, overclocked the Q's are nice, eventhough they don't overclock very far. If your not planning to go for another (AMD) upgrade down the road, maybe good to get the Q, just for future-proof sake, and not just for FS (since FS9 does not use multiple cores), but overall softwarewise other than FS9.As far as you GPU, now I dont use a beamer(s) but maybe consider getting a 640MB 8800GTS?, saves you some money. FS9 isn't that RAM consuming.

Guest baksteen33

Heya Martin, maybe exchange the WD-7200 HD for 7200rpm models by Seagate or Hitachi or 10000rpm models by WD? Case you can visually check the goods, perhaps make sure you get the latest CPU-stepping? G-O or something alike. Otherwise you're in for a feast. :-) Have fun and kind regards Jaap

Guest SAS884

Hi Davis, Jaap.Thanx for all your help and suggestions.I`ll bought the Quad, you never know when it will become handy..:)And for the HD I changed it to this:Seagate Cheetah 10K.7 146GB Ultra320 10000RPM 8MBWell, I hope this setup will do for a year...;)What goes up, must come down, one way or the other. Safe Landings. Martin My B737NG Project.http://www.freewebs.com/boeing737ng/

Guest baksteen33

Hi Martin, there's a great chance you'll be more than happy. :-) Apropos HDs, I hope you're aware that the one you mentioned (Seagate Cheetah), is a SCSI HD which requires special controllers. It won't work on SATA interfaces. Seagates 7200rpm series are called Barracudas and Western Digital's 10krpm drives are known as Raptors. Kind regards Jaap