Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Who has physically installed an Intel Core2duo E6600?

I have built a couple of machines over the years - and find that they all have their little idiosynchrasies.My last machine was an AMDxp 2400. With that one it was quite difficult to install the cpu heatsink. The cpu slid into the "frictionless" base holder easily - but to attach the heatsink you had to connect a steel spring to one side of the cpu base and then very carefully push the other side down with a screwdriver. One slip and you could push the screwdriver through the motherboard.So with that machine, despite the recomendations to install the motherbard into the case first and then install the cpu/heatsink - it was far easier to install them onto the motherboard first before placing the MOBO into the case.Now the first thing I notice with this new Intel E6600 Core2duo is that the cpu/heatsink combination is MASSIVE. I nearly fell over when I opened the box. So what do you recommend - installing it all onto the MOBO first - or install the MOBO into the case first?Thanks for any help from those who have installed one.Barry

Guest wayupthere

Hi Barry,ALWAYS put the CPU and Heatsink on the mobo first, before you put it into the case. Couple of reasons are that you need to apply a little bit of pressure to put the heatsink in its place, If you do that when the mobo is already in the case, you might run the risk of causing a short, if you didn't use spacers in all the right places, or having pressed a bit too hard causing the solds to touch the aluminum base of the case.Another reason is, that many 3rd party heatsink, require you to place a backplate on the back of the mobo, you cant get there when you've screwed it in the case ;) and another reason its way easier to test the board outside of the case when it for some reason wont lets you boot. There are a few more, but those three are definatly one of the most important ones.PS: If you think the the stock heatsink is big, you'll get shocked by some of the 3rd party ones, like the Asus Silent Knight (what i use on another system E6600 @ 3.7Ghz),the Scythe Ninja PLUS, Thermaltake Big Typhoon or another fine example the Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120 ;)

Guest baksteen33

Hi Davissan, good to see you back, hope all is well. Totally second your recommendation regarding CPU-mounting. Good luck and kind regards Jaap

Guest wayupthere

Hey Jaapsan,Thanks, yeah everything is slowly going back to normal. Btw send you a PM, 30Gigs is out of order (again) sigh..Anyway, have a good (whats left of your weekend)