Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot533

PC crashes in fsx

Guest Pilot533

Thanks for the continued help, I appreciate it. The problem was actually voltage, but it was too high, not low! I read on extremesystems that evga 680i's sometimes do better with decreased voltage, so I lowered the ram and chipset voltage and i've been testing on occt. Before this I tried occt and it lasted 9 mins, its been going for about 2 hrs.

Guest baksteen33

Excellent! Compared to your memstatus stresstest, the overvoltage and increased chipset activity (sound & HD I/O) probably lead to overheating. Only noticeable ingame. Now it makes perfect sense, doesn't it? :-) Cheers and kind regards Jaap

Guest Pilot533

Haha, yes it does, it looks good now, going on 16 hours occt testing.

Guest baksteen33

Excellent! How is FS fairing now? Cheers and kind regards Jaap

Guest Pilot533

It failed just after after 16 hours, But thats good enough. Im really impressed with the frame rates in fsx, there is a great guide in the pmdg ops website that has really helped me. FSX is smooth with the lds 767 with all the sliders full right. Just turned off light bloom and moved water to low 2x and my fps are smooth all around.

Guest wayupthere

Hey Mike,Sorry for the late response, I had to go back to "Class" had some recertification classes to do, haven't had time to check here. Anway glad to see that its semi-solved. So what are you voltages now?

Guest Pilot533

Hey davis, the cpu voltage is about 1.556 under load after vdroop, ram is 2.25, nb is 1.45 and sb is 1.65. Im gonna try a flight from dfw to mia today and see how it all works out.

Guest Pilot533

Well the fun was short lived, the freezes are back, no reboots this time, just a stuttering freeze. I had two of them, the second one made the monitor go out again, it was black with a small message saying input signal out of range. Im really starting to think the gpu is going. Im gonna try setting pcie to 120 and see what happens.

Guest Pilot533

Still froze, this time the screen didn't go black. I got 8 fps out of it though, so not too bad. Im gonna try bringing the oc down to 3.7.

Guest wayupthere

Mike,Leave the PCIe bus alone, raising it up to 120 doesn't do anything major, and will in some cases even lock up the system. Leave it and lock it at 100. Have you already tried loosening up your DIMM timings?And go here, http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/392/I...lysis_Tool.html download TAT. When you run it, press start on both cores and let it run for about 15min and tell me if it either gave you a hardlock, CTD or Bluescreen. If it didnt do any of those, tell me what the highest recorded temperature was.

Guest Pilot533

Raising it to 120 gave me a huge performance increase believe it or not, but one of my ram sticks just died. I think its the mobo, this mobo has a history of ram genocide. Last week my kit died, so I rma'd it and got a new one. I thought it was the 2.35v that I had in it that killed it, but now im not so sure. SO I got the new kit, it was working until yesterday when fsx rebooted and then windows failed to load, I ran memetest and one of the sticks gave about 11000 errors in under 5 seconds. Its always that one stick that dies, I think one of the dram slots is bad.

Guest wayupthere

Ok be warned though, raising your PCIe might give you a little edge but has proven to kill SATA, thats what I ment with it doesn't do as much of a performance gain, vs. the possible loss of data on SATA drives I value my stable drive more, I'll get the extra speed from the CPU.. Its just a word of warning. ;) Just keep us, posted.

Guest Pilot533

Oh, I thought that sata thing was more of a myth than truth, ill give that some more thought. Im gonna rma the mobo and ram, do you think I should get a p35 mobo instead of another 680, or maybe just a non nvidia reference board 680i? I was looking at some other board designs from msi, asus, abit, and gigabyte and they all offer elaborate heatpipe cooling for things like mosfets and such, but this evga 680i has just a tiny heat sink for the mosfets, even though I have a fan blowing on them there must be a reason that all the other boards use better cooling solutions.