Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flybyme

Please help for new PC to buy...

Guest Flybyme

Ciao to all,sorry to bother but I'd appreciate very much suggestions to buy a new pc that I use mostly just for FS...actually I have:AMD Athlon 642800+1,8 Ghz2Gb RamMainboard VIA K8TM/K8MM (MS-6741 v1.X)Radeon 9800XT 259Mb AGP2 GB RAM 133MHzSony display 19" (1280x1024)FS2004737 and 747 PMDG-777 and 757 PSS767 Level-DASVItaly packConsider that I'd like to use in the next future FSX and the Dx10..I though about:Ali 600W supersilentM.BOARD ASUS S775 P5B + gigalan Intel 965INTEL Q6600 CORE 2 QUAD 2.40Ghz 8Mb CACHE - FSB 1066Mhz Overclocked to 3GHZRAM 2Gb DDR2 800MhzHARD DISK MAXTOR DIAMOND 10 160Gb SATA2 3.00Gb/secSCHEDA VIDEO GeForce 8800GTS 320Mb HDTV 512MB DDR2XP PRO SP2-But I would like to add another 17" monitor, so isn't worth to get a 8800 GTX or ULTRA..???-Should I go for a quad core or worth a dual core?-Isn't worth to change my Sony 19" 4/3 (1280x1024) display with a 22" samsung WIDE last generation???Thanx endeed for any suggestion...I will change the HW components as suggested..;o)Ciao PAco

Guest baksteen33

Hi Paco, in the future and now allows 2 totally different approaches. FS9 works great with twin cores, even 'cheapo' AMD64s. FSX likes more cores, but affordable, standard clock frequencies aren't too fantastic perf-wise. Hard to tell. These are awkward times to update, almost nothing seems to be future proof. ;-) Cheers and kind regards Jaap

Guest Flybyme

Thanx Jaap,I think I''l go for:Ali 630W supersilentM.BOARD ASUS S775 P5K + gigalan Intel P35Front side bus 1333 Mhz AUDIO (7.1)10 PORTs USB 2.0SISTEM QUITEFUN INTEL Q6600 CORE 2 QUAD 3.00Ghz 8Mb DI CACHE - FSB 1066Mhz RAM 2Gb DDR2 833Mhz in dual channelHARD DISK MAXTOR DIAMOND 10 160Gb SATA2 3.00Gb/sec VIDEO Card GeForce 8800GTS 320Mb HDTV 512MB DDR2Masterizzatore DVD NEC dual layer 18X SATAThat will cost me 1000 Euro ;o(I think I'd like to have also TRackIR...

Guest baksteen33

Hi Paco, If you want to give yourself a good base for XP and Vista, I'ld go for 4GB RAM and start with a >300GB Seagate or Hitachi HD. With some extra monetas, maybe a WD Raptor or two? Case an Intel chipped mainboard, consider one with a ICHx'R'? The R is necessary if you want to make max use of your SATA interface. If you're going to use onboard sound, I'ld stay away from mainboards with ADI soundchips. ;-) Personally and with Vista in mind, I would try to build an extendable system. Get certain components like enough RAM so you don't have to buy again. The same is feasable with PSUs, with 8-pin connectors they're somewhat future proof. FS9 does very well with 256MB adapters = saving potential. OTOH, 320MB GPU-RAM isn't enough for FSX at max texture sizes (1024x textures). Hard decisions... TrackIR is great! ;-) Cheers and kind regards Jaap

Guest Scratch1964

PAcoThere's some good components in your list, but I have to back up Jaap's comments regarding the Geforce 8800GTS. A 320Mb GPU is neither here nor there for FSX. It will struggle straight out of the box unless you drastically reduce autogen. I would not recommend less than a 640Mb 8800GTS for FSX. Personally, I would not opt for a Maxtor HDD either. The Seagate Barracuda are pretty much the most solid and reliable SATA drives on the market. Many have a 5yr warranty too! I run 4 x Seagate Barracuda 320Gb SATA II drives along with an E6700 CPU and a single Geforce 8800GTS 640Mb easily on a 550W PSu. If you have no plans to utilise SLi graphics then perhaps you could opt for a 550w - 600W PSu also.The best of luck to you.Scratch1964

Guest Flybyme

Thanx for the suggestion...I'll go for a 8800 GTX 760MB or GTS 640Mb...I'll see If I can change the HD in SeaGAte BArracuda instead of the MAxtor...;o)The PSU will be a 600W...What do u think about the monitor Samsung 22" 226BW?I now have a 19" Sony 3/4 1280x1024...But thought also on getting the Triplehead2go...and 3 monitors 17" or 19"...gosh...lots of money....maybe later on...ThanxPaco

Guest Scratch1964

PAcoGreat to talk with you on this interesting subject.Firstly, the Samsung 226BW appears to be just about the best in its class, although relatively speaking it is still a budget panel. There are better large panel monitors on the market but many cost two or three times that of the 226BW. I seriously doubt you will get better than the 226BW for the same price at the preset time. These monitors seem great for simming. Perhaps for professional graphic design one might wish to pay close to or even in excess of

Guest baksteen33

Maybe we should add that current DX10 adapters aren't really DX10? ;-) Anybody buying 'DX10' hardware now will have to prepare for another GPU if they want DX10.1 co

Guest wayupthere
>>Anybody buying 'DX10' hardware now will have to prepare for another GPU if they want DX10.1 co

Guest Scratch1964

PAcoHow's things?The only way to know which panel there is in the 226BW is to go to a store and either ask if a salesperson would open a box or two (some will, many won't) or perhaps check any display models on sale for the manufacturers' sticker on the rear of the monitor. I believe the model number will end in either an 'A' 'C' or 'S'The 'S' panel issue is perhaps blown out of proportion by certain enthusiasts. I have read (although I cannot remember where now) that even if one should aquire a different panel than the original Samsung manufactures 'S' panel then it is still going to be better than any other comparably priced 22" monitor on the market. Some folk even believe there is no difference in the quality of the panels, but either way whether it's an A, C or S panel they are, generally speaking, regarded as the best 22" monitors on the market at this price.These reviews might be helpful.http://www.behardware.com/articles/667-1/s...he-verdict.htmlhttp://www.behardware.com/articles/662-1/c...me-fournee.htmlhttp://astore.amazon.co.uk/physics-21/detail/B000MRVBF4http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-revi...ostRecentReviewScratch1964

Guest Flybyme

Ciao Scratch,thanx a lot for the info...The new model 226CW seems very very interesting...I found the AOC 193FW at 150 Euros....not bad, maybe I can still consider the 3 monitors with TripleHead2go...What bothers are the monitor frames...when they are nearby...O well...PAco