Sign in to follow this  
yankeeromeo

Why do so many members hide their location?

Guest Jeffhew

>Hi Roger,>>You make a good point about the clues within the posts and>sometimes it's easy to spot an American or Brit. The word I>look out for is 'gotten' which only an American would use.>;-)That's cuz us yanks ain't gotten no respect lately!! :-hah :-hah :-lol :-lol Just joking, I hope that was obvious!I actually try to be as internationally sensitive as possible. One thing about a forum such as this is that we can learn alot about other cultures if we pay attention. Until the internet became available, it wouldn't have been possible for someone like me to have conversations with people from five different continents in the same year, much less the same thread :-lol.Knowing where someone lives sure makes it alot easier to avoid insulting them inadvertently.Best Regards,Cordially,With Respect,Cheers,JeffGod Save the Queen.God Bless America.God Defend New ZealandEinigkeit und Recht und FreiheitEleftheria i thanatosAdvance Australia Fair

Jeff,You bin and dun that political korrectness course dude? :-lol I agree that t'internet is a great place when used properly but a dark and dangerous one for those unfamiliar with it. I have made friends in the US and elsewhere. Without t'internet those wouldn't exist.God Bless George Bush and Obama and John McCain. That Republican co-runner is a babe! Doh, I just became politically incorrect!!:-eek t'internet is northern England slang for the internet. Pronounced tinternet. :-)Hang loose dude!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Jeffhew

>Jeff,>>You bin and dun that political korrectness course dude? :-lol>Hi Ray,These days, "political correctness" is as much an oxymoron as "military intelligence". >>I agree that t'internet is a great place when used properly>but a dark and dangerous one for those unfamiliar with it. I>have made friends in the US and elsewhere. Without t'internet>those wouldn't exist.Same here. In fact some of those friends probably wouldn't be, if they lived next door to me. :-lolI had a brief relationship with a young lady from Dagenham many (too many) years ago. Going out for dinner became rather costly after a while and a "quickie" always involved a phone and a long distance operator. :-eek >>God Bless George Bush and Obama and John McCain. That>Republican co-runner is a babe! Doh, I just became politically>incorrect!!:-eek She's hot, and a hockey mom! So's my sister and I wouldn't vote for her for VP either. :-hah Truth be told, if I locked the two of them in a room, I think my sister could take her!>>t'internet is northern England slang for the internet.>Pronounced tinternet. :-)And to think everyone blames Americans for butchering the English language!:-lol >Hang loose dude!You too Ray. Avsim's a better place with you here!Cheers,Jeff(Five yard penalty for excessive use of smilies! :-cool )

Thanks Roger. I also use that system in my sig.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

But why is location even relevant? I add my location and time zone to my email signature because people sometimes get confused when I answer their emails in the middle of the night their time.Other than that, I don't see the point in mentioning one's location. Besides, when reading posts I can usually tell where someone is from based on their writing style.Cheers,Bryan

But why is location even relevant? Because some of us like to know where people we are 'talking' to live.I add my location and time zone to my email signature..I don't see any location in yours. I don't have any problems with message post times.Other than that, I don't see the point in mentioning one's location. When people ask for advice on buying components it's useful to know what country they live in. Perhaps you never visit the Hardware Forum. And if someone sees you live close to them it's a chance to strike up a friendship with a common interest.Besides, when reading posts I can usually tell where someone is from based on their writing style.Sometimes it's a clue but often it isn't.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello Folks,I did a reply in my Mothertong, but this reply had to be checked by the moderator...:-hah Nevertheless i didn't wrote nothing bad:-luke Cheers,yves

Guest denialkujur

i m agree with u and appreciate your hostess and prosperity i have some sagesstion and some thoght of expertys so that will very befitted for u so please if u want to like such sagesstion so please visit here Green Energy

I was told Ray would stalk me. :(

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest Shalomar

Let me step it up a notch... Name is Donald Traill and I am a 39 year old Native American living in Walnutport PA USA. The closest airport to my house is 69N. The closest comercial ILS equipped and towered airport is KABE. My username on Gamespy is Shalomar which is my standard username for most sites. Here is a link to a satelite view of my neighborhood, if you click the down arrow once my house will be close to centered. My social security number and mother's maiden name are... psych, I'm not that easy! :( http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...=UTF8&hl=enBest Regards, Donald Traill

Guest Gary Buska

Well I do not leave much info out I even have a blog & list my MSN info. :(

Simply because where I live is my business and no one else's.

In a world of increasing data transparency, it is often not a good idea to divulge too much personal information, particularly on public fora.Cross referencing software can piece together all that info from social networking sites and fora, and the results can be frightening...It is interesting to put your own name into the search engine of your choice and see what it finds...It is generally best to err on the side of caution and only supply the information necessary to complete some transaction, whatever that transaction may be. Of course, this is a personal matter. We all have the power to reveal or hide this information, I choose not to reveal too much...Andrew

Guest kwilson

I've got better things to do with my time than fill out personal details on forums. If I had to do that for every forum I'm a member of it would take me weeks! By not doing it I can spend my time on more productive things like answering posts like this one :)