Sign in to follow this  
yankeeromeo

Why do so many members hide their location?

Quite often when I read an interesting post I will click on the user profile icon to see where the poster lives. It's disapponting to see so many people hide all their personal details except for gender.I honestly don't understand why they do this. Surely a city or state and country is not divulging too much personal information?In some cases where people are asking about buying hardware it's esential to know which country they live in so relevant links to retailers can be provided.Could you run a campaign asking people to consider revealing their locations? I know some are paranoid about privacy but they seem to be taking it to extremes by hiding their resident country.Thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Anyone wanting to know more about me can look me up in the Amateur Radio register ;)

Dave Taylor gb.png

You've made visible the bits I'm referring to. That's all I want to see.Put a link to your register if you really want people to know more about you. ;)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Well, I might, but the forum software won't allow use of the 'okina in rendering Hawai'ian place names.scott s.Waipi'o Hawai'i

Scott,I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying. Why can't you just show your location as Hawaii?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest fullstoplanding

Ray,I agree, especially if one's from the United States. Fifty states spread out on a huge land mass in North America. Sheesh! But, sometimes there are clues within the posts.Cheers-- EnglandMate--AustraliaFlavor, spelled flavour--England, possibly Canada."Ten-four, good buddy" --old geezer, probably American.These are just a few . Maybe, simmers, you would care to add one or two of your own.Here's one--sort of. I drink hot tea. Clue? Rare American male.:-shy --Roger

Guest fullstoplanding

Ray, Correction to my post. Forty-nine states in North Anerica.:-)--Roger

Hi Roger,You make a good point about the clues within the posts and sometimes it's easy to spot an American or Brit. The word I look out for is 'gotten' which only an American would use. ;-)But even assuming I correctly guess the poster is American or Australian that doesn't give me a clue as to where they live. How do you respond to an American living in the UK who is looking to buy hardware on-line? Not much point pointing him to NewEgg which most Americans seem to recommend. :-hmmmBut what mystifies me is why people feel uncomfortable disclosing where they live. I'm not asking for a street name! A state (US, Australia) or county (UK) would be more than enough.Anyway, this is a letter to the Editor(s) so where's their response?And why does every post in this section need to be seen by a moderator? Couldn't AvSim members be excused from this tedious ruling?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest jbinner

Wish I had an answer for you, but we leave it up to the user to either show or hide their country, city, state. If they choose not to, I can't force them. :)As for me, Hilton Head Island, SC, USA. I guess everyone else would have to explain why they hide it, I have no idea why?

Hi John,Thanks for your reply. Yes, you're quite right - people are free to show or hide whatever they want and you cannot directly change that.What I was hoping is that you might consider a front page Forum request to ask people to consider revealing what country they live in and for those who like living dangerously like you and I, what city or town. :-)I suspect many people just show the absolute minimum when they sign up and then never think about their profile again. Maybe a gentle hint might convince more to reveal their home location.Thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Why do the moderators have to give their blessing in this forum?Because there'd be too many rants published, eh.Darn, I gave away that I'm Canadian.Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.

Ray:My name is Rick. I am a Geezer from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada eh?I am a Senior Library Manager here at Avsim Online!"Keep your stick on the ice"Rick

Guest jshyluk

If someone actually puts in their street address, I will look it up on Google.I want to see if they or their neighbours have a swimming pool, which is something Google Maps really shows well. An AVSIM member's house with a swimming pool and a nice deck is automtically considered as the location for the next FanCon. Next best thing is if the neighbour has a swimming pool, for in the likely event that the AVSIM member actively resists hosting FanCon, we can always try the neighbour. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest fullstoplanding

Ray,Another clue.Some posters will show an ICAO Airport Identifier below their name. I would assume they live near by. For example: KMIA, Miami, FL: KSYR, Syracuse, NY-- and so forth. I've even seen a few folks with absolutely no profile info offered, but showing that ICAO Airport Identifier. :-hmmm--Roger

Thank you Rick, Robert and Jeff for your replies. Thanks for your replies. I enjoyed your humour! :-wave

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather