Sign in to follow this  
Guest _Christopher_

Advice for memory, please?

Guest Knikolaes

Okay, so I have 2 NVIDIA 7600GT's installed though I found AFTER getting them that SLI ruins FS and FS cannot run while on SLI (this goes for both FS9 and FSX). Okay -- no problem. These are DX9 cards and I was only going to upgrade them for the sake of DX10 support to see if that even helps that horrible FSX at all. I

Guest baksteen33

Hi Christopher, with an AMD64, there's only one '4GB-way' if it is to make sense technically - 2x2GB. With 2x1GB, the only sound upgrade would be adding 2x512MB (single-sided) bringing it to 3GB (technically = 6 banks = 2 double-sided plus 2 single-sided modules). This allows 1T and 'everything enabled'. Above 6 banks and/or without manipulation, AMD64s start to throttle. Although a CPU update will help, I wonder why a 5000 doesn't do FS9 nicely? Do you go to extremely dense areas like NY a lot? Finally, your sig mentions 8GB EEC, is that correct and if, is EEC active? We can do without AFAIK. Hope this adds to thoughts, kind regards Jaap

Guest Knikolaes

Woah -- that's a typo I never caught before. Thanks. Thos are precisely my system specs but I have no idea how the heck i typed "8" in there. This bugger only has 1 GB of memory at the moment. Shows how much I pay attention to my own signature. I think I was thinking about the memory I WANTED to be capable of at the time LOL.Okay so by 2x2GB then definitely go with the 4 GB divided by 2 sticks? Cool. That sounds easier to me anyway, but I always like the sound opinions of those who have lready been there :-)<> Corrected my signature. After you mentioned it I loked and I must have SERIOUSLY had the number 8 stuck in my brain. I am running 7600 GTs, not 7800s. And they USED to be SLI'd, but I killed off SLI when I found it actually worsens performance of FS. I am now using the second card to run dual monitors for my desktop. If I ever do upgrade those again thogh they'll be 8800s, and that's no typo LOL. That won't be for at least another year though.And in answer to the EEC question, I believe it is enabled, but how do I check for sure? BIOS?