Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ed Lin

Any GeForce 8600 GTS 512 Users Running FS9

Guest Ed Lin

...in a resolution of 1920x1600 on a Dell widescreen? If so, what kind of frame rates are you getting?Contemplating this or the 8800 GTS 640 for a new machine build with an e6850 processor.Thanks.Ed Lin, D.O.S.

Guest wayupthere

Hi Ed,Not running a 86, but any 8*** series, running at that res and FS9 (FSX is a different story) should do fine, remember FS9's age and what specs it was coded for back in the day ;)You shouldn't focus so much on FPS on FS if you ask me. FS9 with a GF8*** or ATI2*** will run smooth and that is what matters.The hype with uber-high FPS is insane, as you can have an FPS counter going through the roof, there is only so much your eyes are able to distinguish anyway.Again the 8600 is a good card, and will stand its own on FS9, but my personal choice would be to go for a 8800 if you can spare the cash, whether it would be the 320mb or 640mb version would depend if your planning to running even higher resolutions e.a 2560x1600 and up down the line. Running 1 monitor FS9 setup a 320mb should suffice at that 1900 resolution.My 2yen, hope it's of some help.

Guest Ed Lin

Hey Davis,I bit the bullet and ultimately decided to go with the 8800 GTS 640. I'm not as crazed about FPS like many of us are but I figured I'll get more longevity from the 8800. The day will come when I will go with FSX and as opposed to seeing the video card as the bottleneck at that time, I kinda determined that I could keep the 8800 and potentially overclock when I get to that point. In the long run, a time saver if nothing else.Thanks for your response.Ed Lin, D.O.S.