Sign in to follow this  
I132

Video Card Suggestion for this CPU

Any recommendations for a video card for this set-up?HP PavilionAMD 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5000+2.61 Ghz, 3.50 GB ramWindows XP media center edition service pack 2Sorry, I don't really know what any of that means. I pulled it from the my computer properties. If this is not enough information to help with a suggestion please let me know. Respectfully,Scott

Guest wayupthere

Hi Scott,The only things I need more are, #What video card do you have now?#What is the resolution your run on your monitor currently, and what do you want to run if you are intending to move up to a higher resolution.#What Power supply do you have, and what is it's rated Wattage?.Regards,

Thank you for your interest in helping me.My current card is a Nvidia 7600 GS 512.I currently run this at 1280x960.I am not sure what power supply I have. It is the one that came stock with the computer. Is there a way to find this information on the computer itself?Respectfully,Scott

Scott'OEM computer makers are notorious for hiding their system specs and the power supply ratings are very hard if not impossible to find out. You might check out HP's website and see what you can find although I doubt you'll have much luck.Since you have an Nvidia 7600 card, you'll probably be able to jump up a little bit in speed without overtaxing the PW, but it may not be worth the expense. You'll also have to consider the type of power connections your video card has to ensure power plug compatibility. Look up your old card at this informative site:http://www.playtool.com/pages/home/index.htmlYou can then check out connector compatibility, type, etc. and compare the wattage requirements of newer cards to get some help if you're somewhat in the dark about computer upgrading.Kim

Guest wayupthere

Hi Scott,Ok. Well if its stock, then its definatly not the type of PSU you want to keep, when going for a high-end GPU. More on that later.You are going to use Flightsim right? if so what version are you using/going to use?Regards,

I use fs9 mostly, but have been trying fsx. I get pretty good results with fs9 with all sliders to the right except for weather. There I back it off a bit with the 3d clouds, distances etc. With a simple GA plane I usually get anywhere from 18-30 fps. With more complex craft like LDS 767 or F1s ATR it drops around 15-18. Still very flyable. With FSX and pretty much across the board medium type settings with no traffic of any kind I pull 12-20 with GA and 8-15 with Jets. (Third party like LDS, FT's Legacy, etc. The biggest killer for me in FS9 is weather. I use Flight Env with their DXT 128 clouds and that helps but the weather settings are pretty low in FS. FSX really isn't all that bad if I stay away from larger citeis. I really only use it for GA flights, and for that it is not all that great with the ugly ground textures. We are all aware of the desert througout the midwest etc. As for the power supply... I thougth that when I bought it the guy said it has a pretty good one, but heck he is a sales man. I have not been able to find specifics on HP's site or anywhere else for that matter. :(Sorry to write so much dribble, i guess what i am really asking is will a better card actually do my system any improvement? No need to spend 4 or 500 bucks on a bottleneck. If it would make a difference, I wouldn't mind paying someone to upgrade a power supply to expand my choices. Thanks so much.Respecfully,Scott

Guest southwest

To find out what power supply you have, take the side casing off and you should then be able to read the label on the side of the PSU.Good luck

Guest wayupthere

Hi Scott,Ok, well in general a GPU upgrade would be fine, are you considering into investing in a DX10 upgrade right now?. or do you wish to wait and see how the whole DX10.1 works out?...Just so you know, current DX10.0 GPUs will not run all the future DX10.1 games to their full extend.At your resolution you can opt for a 8800GTS 320MB, its more than enough for a single monitor. Or you could opt for an ATI 2900 "Baksteen" Jaap, here on the forum can tell you his take on that card, since he is actually running one.So what would you like DX10 now or wait?Regards,

Since I mostly run FS9 I will probably stick with the best dx9 card for my system. I know it is not a slow turtle but it is no rabbit either. I may look at the 8800 GTS. I am assumimg that they are mostly PCI express now correct? Respectfully,Scott

Guest wayupthere

Hi Scott,Yes, Mostly now its PCIe. Ok well if your staying with DX9, then just opt for like a X1950 or the 7series line from Nvidia.Btw, the 8800GTS is a good option, but it is DX10.0 just so you know..Regards,