Sign in to follow this  

Hi Everyone,I'm having problems installing any ATI catalyst driver past CAT 7.7. I'm using PCI-E Radeon X1650 PRO with Win Vista Ultimate 32 (4GB of RAM). Since Cat 7.7, I can't install any driver from that version till Cat 7-10. It got locked up at right where it stays it's "detecting hardware" (Sometime for more than 1-hr). It has never got passed this phase not even when I uninstall ALL ATI related files from my system. Another issue is after uninstalling and rebooting, when the systems comes up, it should be detecting a "new hardware", but this is not happening. After all these hassle, as soon as i install CAT 7.7, then no problem at all, so this version is what I'm stuck with so far. Please help. Thnx

Guest baksteen33

Hi ashigar, looks like a tough one. Have you tried DriverCleaner or similar utilities? Perhaps start with the original CD? Then uninstall that driver and update to 7.10, I assume? Maybe re-install DX as well. Perhaps re-installing the mainboard drivers helps? Maybe you have a restore point? What kind of card (PCI-e, AGP) and mainboard is it? Good luck and kind regards Jaap

>Hi ashigar, looks like a tough one. Have you tried>DriverCleaner or similar utilities? Perhaps start with the>original CD? Then uninstall that driver and update to 7.10, I>assume? Maybe re-install DX as well. Perhaps re-installing the>mainboard drivers helps? Maybe you have a restore point? What>kind of card (PCI-e, AGP) and mainboard is it? >>Good luck and kind regards >>Jaap Well I think I have figured out what is wrong after all and it's still not pretty. I ditched my radeon ATI card and bought Nvidia 8800GTS PCI-E 640MB card. Lo and behold, I cannot install the new driver as well. It's now telling me that my operating system is not Vista 32-bit which driver I downloaded. I believe this was the reason CAT 7-10 was also not installing. All my H/W drivers are up to date with bios , firmware ETC.Motherboard is INTEL D975BBX2 with 4-GB of physical RAM. Does anybody knows what is wrong here? ThnxGus

Guest wayupthere

Hello Gus,How exactly did you UN-install your previous catalyst? Can you tell how you did it, maybe you missed a step.Regards,

>Hello Gus,>>How exactly did you UN-install your previous catalyst? Can you>tell how you did it, maybe you missed a step.>>Regards,Hi,Actually I did it in exact same way as I have done to install all other catalyst since the beginning of the year till this problem started in August. I use the windows uninstall program to uninstall all related drivers and then re-boot. After that I delete the ATI folder and its contents and also go to windows/system32/drivers to delete all ATI files. Anyway, after I re-boot, the system should let me know that a new hardware (VGA) is found, but this does not happen. Hope this help and why is it saying my O/S is not Vista 32-bit? I have activated this 3X with MS already and do regular win update. Any help will be appreciated. ThnxGus

Guest wayupthere

Gus,Try this:Download Driver-Sweeper:http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655Now, boot up Vista into safe mode, UN-install from there. Then run the sweeper, followed by CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.comThen, reboot, IF it still doesn't detect a new VGA-Hardware, do the following:Goto your device manager, look for the display adapter entry, expand that, right-click on the display adapter there and click un-install.Now reboot, it should detect a new VGA upon bootup, then proceed with the driver installation.Now if even that doesn't work, then do the following:Next, boot up and press F8 and startup Vista in VGA-mode (NOT safe mode), do the install from there, what happens when you reinstall that way?Regards,

>Gus,>>Try this:>>Download Driver-Sweeper:>http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655>>Now, boot up Vista into safe mode, UN-install from there. Then>run the sweeper, followed by CCleaner:>http://www.ccleaner.com>>Then, reboot, IF it still doesn't detect a new>VGA-Hardware, do the following:>>Goto your device manager, look for the display adapter entry,>expand that, right-click on the display adapter there and>click un-install.>>Now reboot, it should detect a new VGA upon bootup, then>proceed with the driver installation.>>Now if even that doesn't work, then do the following:>>Next, boot up and press F8 and startup Vista in VGA-mode>(NOT safe mode), do the install from there, what>happens when you reinstall that way?>>Regards,>Wayupthere,I really appreciate your help very much. I did exactly as you said in step one and worked just fine. This time the standard VGA was trying to install which of course I canceled. However, during the driver installation, the error message is still saying that my O/S is not vista 32 which the driver needs. I have downloaded this driver version (Nvidia 163.75 vista 32) Why this error and problems? Do I need to call MS on this? ThnxGus

Guest wayupthere

Hi Gus,Glad 50% is solved sofar, as to your error. Does it actually say the OS is wrong, or does it say that it cant locateyour card in the OS install?.Regards,

>Hi Gus,>>Glad 50% is solved sofar, as to your error. Does it actually>say the OS is wrong, or does it say that it cant locateyour>card in the OS install?.>>Regards,>Hello Wayupthere,I'm glad to report this time that you have helped to solve this problem for me. It turned out that version 169.75 (Evga.com)probably has problem with vista 32 as its error kept saying my O/S was not Vista 32. I downloaded 169.69/169.04beta (Nvidia.com) and both have no problem. Again thank you for all your effort. ThnxGus

Guest Smiley

In looking for answers to my video card problems I read that booting to safe mode and installing video card drivers eliminates the issue of not seeing an appropriate OS.For anyone else reading this MS does list this answer on their website.