Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightsimmernick

Hardware Help

Guest flightsimmernick

Hi thereI have recently (in the last 2 months) upgraded and successfully fitted 2 more RAM cards to my current PC config and am pleased to say that it has helped with performance (generally) & response times. Although things have improved it is far from perfect. I am now thinking of doing a similar upgrade for my graphics card as this is the next thing that I could possibly play around with. This is my current setup (dated now I know):(CPU) 3.06GHz Intel Pent 44x 256MB PC3200 of RAM (2 original + 2 added) 160GB Hard drive (also have 750GB external hard drive)256Mb GeForce FX5200 NVIDIA Graphics CardWin XP SP2Can anyone recommend or give any comments on performing such an upgrade or give any experiences (whatever they were).I have been pointed in the way of upgrading to a NVIDA 7000 series card, but whatever I know that I think I should look for an AGP card as I have a NVIADA card? Can anyone recommend a particular card which would suit my system?I also don

Guest wayupthere

Hello Nick,What motherboard do you have in your system?, Does it only carry an AGP slot, or do you also have a PCIE slot?.If your stuck on AGP only, then ask yourself this. "When can I afford to update my whole system".Reason for this is, you can still buy AGP cards, but in all honesty, I personally don't think at this point in time its worth it anymore. Maybe, since you say your system is running well to your satisfaction, consider saving your money, and do a complete overhaul sometime in the future.Upgrade to PCIe, would be a far better investment for you, than upgrading your AGP to another AGP.If you still, would like to invest in an AGP card at this time,... then what resolution are you running now?__Since your profession is partly similar to what I do, I would recommend go Apple MAC ;)... but that can be costly.. anyways..If you want to do both FS and Video-Editing,, I would suggest to definatly scrap upgrading-plan for your old system, and save up for a new Dual/Quad core based system, with a high-end graphics system..That will run FS great, and won't negatively affect your editing..If you want to get more into the Video-editing details, about whats a good setup and all send me a PM, that way this here stay clean for mainly Flightsim based setups.Regards,

Guest flightsimmernick

Hi Davis,Thanks for your message. Motherboard Name: MSI MS-6747 (Medion OEM) I think that I am stuck with AGP only so dont want to upgrade this if it is going to work out expensive or ends up by slowing the whole PC performance down. So it looks like to get a better graphics card then it will be better to upgrade to a whole new systemn rather than continuing to tweek mine. I have looked at a few prices of graphic cards on the net and they dont look that cheap and as I said I can only imagine that it wont help with the rest of the computers performance? My system is OK (I think?) and I have got used to the age of it now. I can complain although there are frequent drops in frame rates expecially with some scenery I have (and probably the amount of AI traffic I have running). Is not to bad and while in flight, system staus is not to bad (runs OK). I think from what you have said that it will be more worthwhile to do a clean system upgrade (maybe its about time). The business I work for is ready to upgrade hardware and is prepared to pay towards the cost of new hardware (as they have interest in my video editing work). Thanks again Davis and I will send you a PM. Thanks :)

Guest wayupthere

Hey Nick,Yeah, I think it will be more worth it, and since your company is willing to share costs, it would be a good time to do just that ..As to your message...I'll reply to your email later tonight my time.Regards,