Sign in to follow this  
tony32

Another Question for Mr.Davis Takanawa,please

Hi,I have been reading you answers to questions for a while now and and you know what you are talking about,i am hoping you could tell me how you would set up the hardware i currently have.Motherboards:evga 680i rev A1 Gigabyte ds3r p35Processor; C2D E6600 arctic freezer 7Hard Drives; WD Raptors 2x74gb 8cache WD Cavair SE16 250gb 16cache 3/gbs? Seagate 250gb 16cache 3/gbsRam: Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 1066x4gbVideo: BFG 8800GTS 640mb Sapphire x850xtpeSound: Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatal1TY Creative Audigy 2ZSPower: OCZ GameXStream 700WCase: Antec 900 Thermaltake ArmourOS: Win xp 32&64 bitThose are the parts i have,and my biggest problem is the sound/video stutters,i just wonder what parts you would use to make a system,what drivers you would use etc.I hope i am not imposing on you but sure would appreciate any advise.Thank You Tony.

Guest wayupthere

Hi Tony,My preferred setup would be:Mobo:Difficult choice, both are good, and I've had good experience with both EVGA and GB. With most issues of the EVGA resolved now and both have support upto the 1333MHz FSB, meaning the 45nm CPUs (Wolf -and Yorkdale cores). comes down to your call.HDs:Id setup the Raptors for gaming, the others for OS and regular use.GPU:Skip the X850, and definatly use the 8800.Soundcard:Use the X-Fi, will definatly benefit with the Crystallizer for much clearer, crispier sound than the ZS.PSU:For now you should be fine, but later on if you decide to add another GPU or add more HDs, Id up that down the road. Again for now with these components you'll be ok.OS:As far as OS, since you are using 4GB of ram, go with the 64bit OS.. But just check that if you have any other hardware peripherels, if they have their 64bit drivers available, e.a Scanner, printer, Digicam and what not.Hope that helps,Regards,

Guest baksteen33

In addition to Davis' words - I hate to contradict once. :-( >HDs:>>Id setup the Raptors for gaming, the others for OS and regular>use.I wouldn't use those 74Gb WDs any longer with a modern mainboard, they're first generation, non NCQ, etc. IMHO, you'd be better off with modern harddrives and technology. >PSU:>>For now you should be fine, but later on if you decide to add>another GPU or add more HDs, Id up that down the road. Again>for now with these components you'll be ok.If you don't want to upgrade the PSU next time you upgrade the GPU, perhaps get one with one or two 8-pin PCI-e connectors? Sorry again, Davis. Kind regards Jaap

Guest wayupthere

Hehe no worries Jaap,The reason I stated those things, as he said he already HAS/Ownes those components. He doesn't need to buy anything, If he would BUY, I would have opted the same regarding the Raptor and PSU, but again he has those.So I just commented with the reason,"Doing things the best possible way with what you currently already have" in mind ;)Regards,

Guest baksteen33

Duhhh, of course, Davis. :-) Kind regards, Jaap

Hi Davis and Jaap,That helped narrow it down for me and i thank you both.All The Best,Tony.