Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

Opinion on 8800GT and FS9 (and maybe FSX)

Absolutely marvelous card. One of the best buys in my entired computing history. Not only it reached such smoothness and speed in FS9, but it also delivers superb quality. Something that ATI cannot even measure with. I am so sad that I until now used ATI and thought it gives more speed and same quality. SHOULD NOT HAVE. Nvidia with it's 8xS setting gives pretty much this result:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=265904&page=Keep in mind that the shots are resized and compressed to meet the forum limits. Originals just kick some serious ***...Nvidia just killed ATI from my perspective...

Guest baksteen33

Hi Word Not Allowed, now we only have to hope that Nvidia's driver support doesn't do the same to them. :-) Have fun, nice to hear your joy. Kind regards Jaap

Thanks Jaap, I don't believe that Nvidia would go that path, after such success. ATI has pretty much been sucking after it has been bought by AMD.

After reading so many posts about the 8800GT I decided to spent some money on that myself. I'm pretty impressed about the performance and image quality, but I have some driver problems. No AA in FS without nhancer, seems to be a known problem but nvidia didn't solve it till now. It's also a bit strange that the most recent card isn't supported with the newest driver builds. Anyway, I don't regret my buy and my old X800GTO has finaly retired:)Toby

Say, after testing 8800GT, how are your fonts in FS9, fonts in which FPS, Brakes, and all are displayed in FS9. Without SuperSampling, they look ok, but as soon as I turn on SS, they look "weird". Still readable and all, but simply look different. Can you confirm? Maybe a small screenshot if there is a difference?Thanks!

Yup, you are right. Readable but with a kind of black border. I'm no expert, what is the difference between Multisampling and Supersampling? I've been testing AA Multisampling 8xQ and AF 16x. Quality looked pretty good to me, fonts were fine.Toby

I can't really say I am total expert on Antialiasing, but from my knowledge MS is the way textures have been handled by now, and SS is new. It also results in somewhat lower FPS, but not unplayable. As long as you keep it at 8xS. Higher SS settings are pretty much unplayable. But SS results in much better picture quality, especially concerning jaggies - if you look at some 32bit textures that have a long line along the aircraft, it gets pretty much aliased with MS, and SS takes care of that. If you have 8800GT, I would really suggest running 8xS, it really gives much better picture. And FPS are still great.

Guest 727Stretch

Howdy all,New to avsim forums here; I'm a frequent over at flightsim.com forums though. Anyway, I'm a little late to the thread here but it interested me since I got an 8800GT the day they were released -- EVGA superclocked version to be exact. I agree, this card is amazing, although my first one was bad, and I had to RMA it.I do have some questions on Antialiasing in general with Nvidia cards. I've been a ATI X1950 Pro user til this card. So the settings are a bit different. I assume the 'Q' means quality? Can FS9 even take advantage of anything higher than 8X AA? I had been running it at 16X and frankly, I can't notice much of a difference compared to 8X. In everyone's opinion, what is the sweet spot for AA in FS9? I have all the other Nvidia control panel settings at their respective quality modes; none are set to performance.Thanks for any info , appreciate it... Dave

>Howdy all,>New to avsim forums here; I'm a frequent over at flightsim.com>forums though. >>Anyway, I'm a little late to the thread here but it interested>me since I got an 8800GT the day they were released -- EVGA>superclocked version to be exact. I agree, this card is>amazing, although my first one was bad, and I had to RMA it.>>I do have some questions on Antialiasing in general with>Nvidia cards. I've been a ATI X1950 Pro user til this card. >So the settings are a bit different. I assume the 'Q' means>quality? Can FS9 even take advantage of anything higher than>8X AA? I had been running it at 16X and frankly, I can't>notice much of a difference compared to 8X. In everyone's>opinion, what is the sweet spot for AA in FS9? I have all the>other Nvidia control panel settings at their respective>quality modes; none are set to performance.>>Thanks for any info , appreciate it... DaveMy opinion, as stated above, is to run the card on 8xS setting, which means Supersampling, and in my opinion, it gives the best quality vs. performance in FS9. All other modes, meaning non-SS, would mean you could have kept your 1950, cuz it doesn't have SS.

Word Not Allowed,For comparison's sake, what card did you actually have before moving to the 8800GT?-Greg

Since I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of my 8800 GT, it's great to see so many happy owners - especially after a trawl through the Nvidia forum unearthed a heap of unhappies. One persistent complaint concerns AA activation ["AA does not work at all without the latest 8800 drivers"] and the apparent need to use Nhancer, which doesn't appeal to me. So I wonder - did any of you guys run into this problem? And I imagine Nvidia is still trying to sort out the right driver for such a new kid on the block: or has it succeeded already?PS I'd love to see those screenshots, but they've been blocked. Anywhere else I can get at them?

Guest ianrivaldosmith

Also bear in mind those images are resized and quality made medium for size regulations.....And Im using Nhancer for the AA (it really is so simple and easy to use I don't know why people complain, infact its better than the nvidia control panel!)Using latest beta nvidia Drivers also....

>Word Not Allowed,>>For comparison's sake, what card did you actually have before>moving to the 8800GT?>>-GregPowercolor Radeon X1950 XTX 512MB

>at all without the latest 8800 drivers"] and the apparent need>to use Nhancer, which doesn't appeal to me. So I wonder - didWhy not? Nhancer is just a tool for configuring Nvidia Control Panel, just in much easier way. You don't even have to have it running or at startup, for Nhancer settings to work. Just start it once (service), open nhancer, set, close, disable service, and you are done.