Sign in to follow this  

FS2K2 start up error?????

Guest P3_Super_Bee

Here's one for the guru's. I can no longer run FS2K2. Everytime I start it it locks up and I get an error "Can not connect/find Roger Wilco" Here's the twister. I don't have Roger Wilco, and have never had it. So why all of the sudden is MSFS looking for it? This occurs with and without FSUIPC. :-outtahttp://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/images/675-2fs.jpg

Roger Wilco is full of spyware, so I wouldn't recommend using it anyway. And yet, it managed to get to your computer somehow... First step would be to download AdAware from www.lavasoft.de , run the scan and have it delete all the spyware it finds. Then go into 'Start Menu/Run', type 'regedit' and look for 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator8.0'In there, you should find an entry titled "Zone"="http://zone.msn.com/asp/fs02redir.asp"If the URL is anything other than the above, change it to the one that's here (it's the default MS multiplayer address that comes with MS 2002).Also, delete your FS2002.cfg and 'INDEX_FILE' (both are in the main FS folder). Both will be rebuilt on startup of FS, but you'll lose all your settings (but NOT add-on scenery or saved flights).Hopefully you should be OK.Good luck,Gosta.

Guest P3_Super_Bee

Thanks for the tip, would never have thought of running adaware. I did find the problem. Happened across it in the new files list here at avsim. "RWControl V1.1" Its a gauge package that I guess allow RW to be seen on the panel. Don't know for sure, don't use RW. But I have installed a bunch of new panels lately. So I went and checked the gauge file and modules file and there it was RWcontrol.gau and RWcontrol.dll Deleted both and now I'm back to happy simming, and to figure out which panel had the offending junk.And with your tip I do believe I'll run adaware first. Thanks.:-outtahttp://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/images/675-2fs.jpg

Wow, and there I thought it would be a major feat to try and sort this one out... Glad it's working for you now.*Rant Mode On*I noticed similar things on a few occasions with freeware files. And here I am not slamming freeware authors at all - I think they do a marvellous job in sacrificing a lot of their free time just to give something back to the community. But I found a lot of the documentation lacking in clarity - wouldn't it be nice to know what every file does? Maybe that's asking well too much in the case of big projects, such as entire aircraft/sound/panel packages or complex scenery, but it would be a good idea for the consumer to know what conflicts certain files can cause. That's why I don't like auto-installers; one of them installed an aircraft in my Windows directory without asking, it just said something like 'FS2002 found'. Another one thought it would be smart to automatically add the exclude switch for a scenery to my 'scenery.cfg' - instead it replaced the entire thing with its own entry. Result: FS wouldn't start, asking for a reinstall. (Fortunately I had a backup scenery.cfg, so it was no problem). Or in your case, wouldn't it have been helpful if the read-me file said 'You need to have Roger Wilco installed to run this panel. If you don't have RW, please delete ***.gau from your FS2002/gauges folder, otherwise you may experience problems running FS'. The pinnacle of arrogance was a read-me file that had an elaborate Spanish text, but in English just said 'If you don't speak Spanish, figure it out for yourself' Fair enough, but then don't provide an auto-installer that is designed for a Spanish version of Windows (and where even there it wouldn't work with a default FS installation, as it installed into the D: drive..).*Rant Mode Over*Back to the matter on hand, Adaware is an excellent program, it can save you lots of hassles, especially if you also have a good virus scanner that's updated regularly.Anyway, back to the skies and happy flying,Cheers,Gosta.