Sign in to follow this  
Guest jasperh

Processor Affinity error

Guest jasperh

Hi Guys,A few months ago I`ve bought a new computer. It`s a pretty good system: Geforce 8800GTX, Intel Core2 Quad, with a windows vista operating system. Despite this good system my FPS in FS9 were sometimes not what I expected them to be. I optimized the settings, downloaded latest Nvidea drivers, vista updates and found out that setting the affinity is a must when having core2quad. When I wanted to change this I selected the set affinity option when fs9.exe was running. Unfortunately I didn`t got the menu which you normally get(where you can select the processors) but I got an error "Cannot enter the affinity settings panel. Access refused"(but then that message in my language) I didn`t get this message with other programs. I have downloaded F9.1 upd, no result. I`ve tried it a lot of times, no result. Is there someone who can help me with this?Thanks alot,Jasper

Guest wayupthere

Hello Jasper,Welcome to the forums.When you press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC, and get into the taskmanager, can you still change ANY of the other programs Affinity settings?, Are you the Admin on your machine?Regards,

Guest jasperh

Hi,Yes I can still change the affinity of other programs, and I am th eadmin of the programm, and open the fs9.exe as an admin.Jasper

Guest jasperh

HiSo to be clear, setting the affinity for other programs goes fine, but not for FS9.exe... Then I get the message "Cannot enter the affinity settings panel. Access refused"...Jasper

>Hi>>So to be clear, setting the affinity for other programs goes>fine, but not for FS9.exe... Then I get the message "Cannot>enter the affinity settings panel. Access refused"...>>JasperJasper, do a Google search for "Seesaw Pro". It's a free programthat will let you set the affinity of ANY loaded processesprograms.Unlike the Task manager that won't let you change affinity forsystem processes, this program will.I use it to set all loaded processes to cpu 0 and then start FSX.I then set FSX to run on cpus 1-3. Works like a charm.Not sure what may be causing your particular problem but thisprogram may solve it. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest wayupthere

Hmm haven't come across something like that.. Give this a try.Start - run type gpedit.mscgo to User Configuration - Administrative Templates - System - Ctrl+Alt+DeleteDouble click "remove Task Manager", and disable it, now reboot after the reboot do exactly the same but enable it.. That basically turns on/off the task manager in a whole. Option 2:Temporary solution (works with other programs too, not just FS)You can use switches,You can set processor affinity from the command-line, type the line below in the "start" area."start /affinity 01 fs9.exe"Give those two tings a try.Regards,

Guest jasperh

>Jasper, do a Google search for "Seesaw Pro". It's a free>program>that will let you set the affinity of ANY loaded>processesprograms.>>Unlike the Task manager that won't let you change affinity>for>system processes, this program will.>>I use it to set all loaded processes to cpu 0 and then start>FSX.>I then set FSX to run on cpus 1-3. Works like a charm.>>Not sure what may be causing your particular problem but this>program may solve it.>> Paul>Hi Paul,This is very strange, I downloaded Seesaw Pro but there is no fs9.exe indication in Seesaw when fs9 is running... So, in the windows task manager I can see the fs9.exe, but not in seesaw...Jasper.

Guest jasperh

Hi Davis,I don`t have a run type gpedit.msc in my windows vista.. And I`m not sure were to type the line "start /affinity 01 fs9.exe" in the start menu of vista, I tried to search it, but no results. I also don`t know where to type the command line. Thank you very much for helping me.Jasper

-SNIP->Hi Paul,>>This is very strange, I downloaded Seesaw Pro but there is no>fs9.exe indication in Seesaw when fs9 is running... So, in the>windows task manager I can see the fs9.exe, but not in>seesaw...>>Jasper.Try this...I just checked with my FS9 install. It's there BUT, you must first closeSeesaw Pro after setting the initial apps affinity and then RESTARTSeesaw Pro after you have started FS9. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest jasperh

Hmm, I really can`t see the fs9.exe file in the seesaw program.. I have the same problem with Limewire b.t.w. How do you mean setting the initial apps affinity? Thanks for your help,Jasper

>Hmm, I really can`t see the fs9.exe file in the seesaw>program.. I have the same problem with Limewire b.t.w. How do>you mean setting the initial apps affinity? Thanks for your>help,>>JasperBefore starting FSX ( in my case ) I start Seesaw Pro and set allthe processes that are shown to run on CPU 0.I then shut down Seesaw Pro and start FSX. Then I start SeesawPro again and set FSX to run on CPU 1-3.The same procedure should work for FS9. I am running XP Pro so Idon't know if Vista causes other problems. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest wayupthere

Hi Jasper,you need to type "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) in the area underneath your "All Programs" button in your start menu. Give that a try first.Regards,

Guest jasperh

Hi,No searching results, the gpedit.msc is not found...Jasper.

Guest wayupthere

Hello Jasper,I guess you are are running Vista Home or Home Premium? In that case it isn't there.Other than that I find it a strange issue. No access errors usually indicate something with permissions/admin access.Now you have that, that leaves me scratching my head unfortunatly.When you install another new program/game, do you have access there?regards,

Guest jasperh

Hi Davis,Yes, I`m using Home Premium. I don`t get the error to set affinity for other new installed programs. FSX is installed too, maybe thats good to know...regards,Jasper