Sign in to follow this  
brucek

DDR2 vs DDR3 for FSX

Starting a new thread that addresses memory rather than motherboard chipset types, hoping that Davis sweeps by at some time .... :)I'm not sure which RAM is best, but just taking a look at Crucial:DDR2 PC2-8500 1066MHz US$143.99 5-5-5-15DDR3 PC3-8500 1600MHz US$359.99 CL=7The above is for a 2* 1GB kit.For a constant 1600 MHz speed, and the higher bandwidth of DDR3 but also higher latency (5 for DDR2 vs 7 for DDR3), what would the conparitive effects on FSX be for both RAM types with a constant motherboard chipset (say the GB X38 and X38T)?I know that the DDR3 offers better future options as latency improves as the product matures. Thanks- Bruce.

Guest RichardL

Good post Bruce. I'm also waiting to read any reports. I'll keep searching for any web reports.I know Tom's Hardware does use FSX (I think its X) for video card benchmarks. I'll check and see it they benchmark memory.Just checked. Only FSX benchmark is for video cards.http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_200...2=722&chart=291Regards,RichardPS: I know TH may not be the best source but at least its something.

Guest wayupthere

Hey Bruce,To keep it simple, DDR3 is fast (bandwidth-wise you would be looking at a 2% to 20% gain over stock DDR2) and even with the higher latency it will do better than (stock) DDR2 in bechmarks.At last Computex I've seen 1066 DDR3 running well over 2000MHz, with voltage jammed to max.As from synthetic benchies DDR3 at 1066MHz tweaked with timings of 7-5-5-10 is able to outperform DDR2 at 1066MHz with 5-5-5-15.CAS ratings aren't everything ;) BUT.. DDR3 isn't just quite where it needs to be yet, but definatly looking very good, and if price doesn't bother you, investing in an X38 chipset mobo ready for DDR3 isn't a bad call.IMHO, wait a bit longer, CL5 i doubt will not take much longer to start showing up, with reduced latency it would make them that little bit more interesting for me.If your hardcore than DDR3 is def. the way to go shortly, for the casual user, Right now best bang for buck is still DDR2. Regards,

Hi Davis,Thanks again for your insight. With all the hassles of reinstalling the OS after a new motherboard install, I think I'm going the DDR3 route, and will get 2GB kit of 1066 for now, and consider upgrading to a higher speed when both the price and latency come down later.Thanks again, Bruce.

Guest wayupthere

Hey Bruce,Yeah, if you decide that route yeah, get the lower speeds for now, since they are still somewhat cheaper. When it matures pricing and latencies will drop eventually.Have fun.Regards,

Hi Davis,Thanks for all your help. Too bad that the voltages and key slots in DDR2 and DDR3 won't work together :)Bruce.

Guest wayupthere

No problem Bruce,Yeah, well you know, too bad there has to be the whole DDR, DDR2, DDR3 issue.Can't have everything one wants, but it sure would be nice to have ONE standard ;) And so the hoping continues hehe.Regards,

Guest RichardL

Bruce,When you have the new system together, I sure would like to see what you selected and how it performs with FSX.Where do you source hardware, NewEgg, TigerDirect?Best Regards,Richard

Yes Richard, it will be a month or so, but I wil report back!Bruce.