Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scratch1964

BEHOLD The Majestic 8800GTS!!! Never Mind the GT

Guest Scratch1964

At a first glance of the recently released Geforce 800GT 512MB GPU I was astonished that after just 12 months of the release of the 8800GTS/GTX(my 8800GTS 640MB is actually still under warranty until next week) we are hearing and seeing reviews & reports suggesting that the 8800GTS is now effectively written off!Yes, I understand that the 8800GT has a different architecture, and utilises more transistors, yet drawing less power than the GTS due to its smaller 55nm process. It supposedly outperforms the GTS in almost everything, excepting the odd game in very high resolutions where memory is a factor. Worse still, the 8800GT is so much cheaper then the GTS ever was (if you can find one available that is!) So it's hardly surprising that I felt somewhat choked at the reports. Afterall, upon their release, the GTS & GTX were dubbed as supercards, and "second to none." Now, in the eyes of certain reviewers, the 8800GTS in particular has completely lost all respect, and is the GPU to "avoid like the plague."Well, I thought about this, and read up on few articles. It got me thinking further....The GT is a single slot GPU and, as such, is unlikely to offer equal cooling performance versus either GTS or GTX. Furthermore, the larger memory on both GTS (640MB) and GTX (768MB) may also prove a winner with the shift in trends over to much larger displays and therefore higher resolutions. Furthermore, on the cooling front, when overclocking the GTS from its stock core/memory clock speeds of 500/1600 one can expect a huge potential. This review should clarify the full potential of GTS & GTS when overclocking...http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/983/rele...00_s/index.htmlI haven't tried overclocking my GTS yet, as I haven't felt the need to. However, it looks like overclocking may just squeeze an extra year or so out of it's lifespan.So, it's not all doom and gloom for the GTS. I just wonder how the 8800GT overclocks? 22%+ ??? I have my doubts.Anyone?Scratch1964

-SNIP->Furthermore, on the cooling front, when overclocking the GTS>from its stock core/memory clock speeds of 500/1600 one can>expect a huge potential. This review should clarify the full>potential of GTS & GTS when overclocking...>>http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/983/rele...00_s/index.html>>I haven't tried overclocking my GTS yet, as I haven't felt the>need to. However, it looks like overclocking may just squeeze>an extra year or so out of it's lifespan.>>So, it's not all doom and gloom for the GTS. I just wonder how>the 8800GT overclocks? 22%+ ??? I have my doubts.>>Anyone?>>Scratch1964 I have an eVGA 8800GTS 640MB card and can easily overclock it by 32% using RivaTuner.I wind up with clock rates of 67515661044 for the GeometricShaderMemory respectively. That's an effective memory speedof 2088 Mhz.My temperature for the GPU runs around 59C-61C max in FSX at1280x1024. In "idle" 2D it sets at about 55C.As to FSX and fps, I don't see any difference in fps between running stock clocks vs. overclocked. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest Scratch1964

Paul,That's a very impressive overclock for a GPU with a core clock of just over 500. I see many 8800GT owners are squeezing around 700 core and 2000 memory at max, with one or two exceptions. I have seen one or two better shader/pixel fill rates with the GT over the GTS. Some GT owners over on other forums have reported stability problems over and above 2000 memory overclock, but I haven't heard quite the same with the GTS. Seems like the 100Mhz core clock advantage of the GT over the GTS at stock is almost wiped out when overclocking. Interesting indeed!A look at the two cards side by side clearly shows the GTS appears to have better cooling, and although the 55nm process of the 8800GT equates to less heat, I believe the GTS will not run any hotter due to its much larger cooling set up.Interesting to note that you say the overclock does not provide a better FPS in FSX!BTW, what temp did your GPU run at prior to O/C? Mine is a Pailt 640MB GTS and runs at 53c at stock whilst under load in FSX for an hour or so. Some have reported them in the 40s at stock. Also, which drivers are you using? Do you find much of a difference between forceware drivers performance wise?Scratch1964