Sign in to follow this  
--Randy--

Pausing...stuttering display??

I have what I thought was going to be a kick butt system with a Quad Processor, a nVidea 8800GTX video card and 4gb of ram ( yes I know it doesn't see all that memory...but I have it anyway ). I mainly run FSX and the display sucks most of the time. It hesitates on turns and sometimes just on straight and level flights. Many times on approach it just hesitates for 5 to 15 seconds....then sort of stutters...then hesitates.......It drives me crazy, and I don't know what to do about it. I watch videos on YouTube of different peoples systems and their systems appear to have flawless smooth video...where my high end system sucks. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on or what I can do about it. I have tried dumbing down the sim and sliding down the sliders and it doesn't appear to make much of a difference. I have tried tweaks I have found on some forums and nothing seems to make much of a difference. Do you think a different video card would help....like an ATI....or adding another video card in a SLI configuration???I am open for any suggestions. Randy

Randy

Guest wayupthere

Hello Randy,Just a few questions,

Guest baksteen33

Hi guys, maybe add to those questions: - AI, if so, what kind and which settings? - Scenery settings etc. Scenery complexity particularly. - HD config, partitions? What is where? - Framerate locked? Cheers and kind regards Jaap

Hey thanks for the Questions. I am running Win XP ProRunning 22" LCD monitors.I have tried changing the Scenery settings and most of the display settings and even with effects turned way down I still get pausing and stuttering. I have tried locking the framerate to 24 and setting it to unlimited and it doesn't appear to make much of a difference. I am beginning to think there is an issue with my Video card. I have talked to other guys in my VA that have a much slower computer and videocard than I have...that are not having this kind of video pausing problem. I just loaded the latest version of video driver for this card 163.75 and will try and run some tests and get back to you. Thanks a lot for your offer to help....it is driving me nuts. Randy

Randy

Guest wayupthere

Hey Randy,Just leaves out what Brand/Make/Model of your your LCDs, since that sometimes can create issues too. Get back with that, and then we can start looking for a possible fix.Regards,

OK....guys. I Have a Mag LDC monitor 22" and a Westinghouse 22" monitor on this system. I have gone through and turned off all unnecessary services...the only thing I have running is AVG antivirus...other than all the windows services. I think I mentioned before I have a Quad Processor....nVidea 8800GTX Video card, 2GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz RAM ( I have tried replacing the RAM and that didn't make any difference. I have two SATA Hard Drives...Segate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm. Running Win XP Pro...and FSX. Oh yes...I am running a evga NForce 680i SLI Motherboard...that is supposed to be a super board. ( I have all high quality parts and it runs like crap...go figure. ) As for the setup on FSX. A friend of mine has a new Dell computer with a dual core proc and the same video card, we set FSX up the same and he is having no trouble....but I am. (By the way I built this myself...it is not a Dell.Here is how my sim is configured right now.Graphics Tab:Frame Rate = 24Full Screen Resolution = 1680 x 1050 x 32 (since that is the native resolution of my monitors )Global Texture Resolution = HighLens flare - OffLight Bloom - OffAdvanced Animations - OnFiltering - TrilinearAnti-aliasing - OffAircraft Tab:Medium High Scenery Tab:Medium HighWeather Tab:HighTraffic Tab:Minimal...with Road Vehicles turned up to 7%OK....what I am seeing is this:Almost every time I take off just as I lift off the display will hesitate...sometimes for 1 or 2 seconds...sometimes longer. Then it will hesitate again as I climb...sometimes several times. Occasionally I will get a 5 to 10 second pause. Sometimes I will get these pauses while flying straight and level and sometimes I won't. Sometimes I get them when turning....you know...when the graphics has to work hard...sometimes I don't. It is crazy. My friend that only has a dual core processor says his display is very smooth...while my quad it jerky...sometimes to the point of giving me a headache.Well I would appreciate ANY ideas at this point. I am willing to get another video card to see if that fixes it....or another Mother Board. Thanks. Randy

Randy

Guest wayupthere

Hey Randy,When you installed Windows, did you install all the necessary motherboard drivers too, ones that come from either you Install CD or the EVGA site, NOT the just windows update things? the SATA driver from EVGA to be more precise.Regards,

Yes...those drivers were the first things I installed. I have been looking at the nVidia forum and it appears there are a lot of people having trouble with the 8800 video cards and FSX. I may have to try an ATI card just to see if it works any better.

Randy

Guest baksteen33

Hi Randy, does your mate also run 2x 22" displays? ;-) FWIW, my spontaneous take is not enough RAM. These kind of things happening whilst the HDs are properly configured, defragged and everything else seems upto date too, indicate >2GB might be helpful. Particularly at elevated AA/AF levels. Best Holidays Season wishes to everybody. Kind regards Jaap