Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Video card for New System

I am about to upgrade my home-built PC to a GA-X38T-DG6 / Q6600 Quad Core Intel, and 2GB of DDR3 memory. I have been considering keeping my existing GPU which is an EVga 7950 GT (256MB). I run 2 monitors in WideView (extended desktop), one in 1680*1050*32 and one in 1280*1024*32. The WideView configuration is for using e-mail and work apps (closer to the keybpard), while having a widescreen monitor that is ahead of my CH yoke (almost exclusively for FSX/FS9).For FSX, my primary application on this PC, what additional performance would I gain by adding a later GPU such as one of the 8800 series?Thanks- Bruce.

Guest wayupthere

Hey Bruce,FSX in mind, you would be able to take advantage of DX10 (which is pretty much the 8800s sales pitch)Other than that, the 88 in itself is a faster GPU so it will give you a "slightly" better performance boost (how much depends on res used ;) )Next to that, depending on what line you choose, lets say the newest 8800GT, it holds 512MB of VRAM which in turn will also helps caching the large FSX textures. (the more it can cache ahead the faster it will be able to get displayed on screen). Those are just some of the basics things you would be able to take advantage of. Check the link below:[a href=http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140&p=11]8800 GT vs. 7950 GT[/a]Regards,

Thanks Davis, as usual you have the answers.That graph shows quite a large increment from the 7950GT to the 8800, although I know that FSX deals with graphics somewhat differently than some other games.Thanks again, and Happy Holidays,Bruce.

I'm having one of those dilemmas too. I've got a 7900gt and i'm thinking about moving up to the 512mb 8800gt. my system runs fsx pretty fine w/ the settings i've got. 19 fps locked and stays there. water 2x low, normal autogen. The only things that bring me down are VC's and complex aircraft. I'm satisfied. Would the 8800gt bump me up at least 10 more fps in fsx?specs:a64 3700+ @ 2.8ghz2gb pc3200