Sign in to follow this  
maverickr

Guys, check before upload...

Hi everybody,There are no day without a patch for this, a patch for that, a patch for the patch, etc...Boring!Please keep your files one more night and check it next day before proceeding to upload. This will save time and disk space at AVSIM!

Guest eko

Ahhhh.... haven't done much uploading have ya? :-)Seriously, for very complex packages, sometimes it is inevitable that something will slip through the cracks.For example, I beta tested my 747 panel, I let it sit on my HD for days and days after I thought it was ready, just to see if I could catch anything else.So... what happens? A couple of days after I release somebody informs me that I included V1 of a gauge when I should have included V2. AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!But, I understand your sentiment... However, you do have to realize though, that MOST folks are very careful... and sometimes put their packages through the kind of testing that payware developers do. Still, it's a freebie, and believe you me that NONE of us who release EVER want to have to issue a patch. I want to upload and never have to worry about it again. :-)

Guest odog

I just saw 100 post of people slamming developers for not standing behind their products (right or wrong, I don't care...I'm not emotionally involved)now this...Why is it that people just come here to complain?*******...if it wasnt this, it would be a complaint for lack of a patch!It doesnt happen on purpose, or out of ignorance...if you had any idea how much work goes into a release...you'd be just a little understanding...how much did you pay for it anyway?yeah.

Yeah, what are you freeware developers thinking about?Boring poor guexj with your patches. Get your act together and make sure everything works perfectly first time, every time, otherwise he may just refuse to download your software all togther... so there!/sarcasm off.Unbelievable! :-roll

Guest jase439

S*** happens and we do what we can to make it right. At times, things happen we can do nothing about (i.e. file managers mislabelling files, not posting files, not reading upload instructions, or not removing bad versions before they go public...or the publishers choosing not to include README files with installation instructions before posting files to their website).But I see your point. With all the money we freeware folk get paid to jump these hoops and prepare part of our "personal" hobby experience for consumption by the masses, there really is no excuse. I know my pockets are bulging from the seams with the compensation I take down from writing pages of tiresome documentation for the completely FS illiterate so they too can partake in my little financial venture. But nothing really turns my key quite like spending an afternoon answering a litany of questions through e-mail. In fact, I'm sure my whole technical support division feels this way as does my sales and marketing deparment. So, next time I find myself so moved to babysit an 'upload' process or answer a question which was answered in a FAQ 3 times or put that little 'extra somethin' in for one of my paying customers (God forbid, that would require a patch!), I'll feel moved by your touching words here today, and instead sit down, smile, and say, "No thanks, I'm too busy counting my money".Cheers.

Guest SD Sim

Having spent the last week designing my first scenery, I've really gained an appreciation for the shear volume of work that goes into producing "freeware". So many of our fine freeware developers have been hounded by this unfortunate attitude that seems to be held by a small cadre of bafoons. As others have pointed out, if you don't like it, then by all means take it off your computer and forget about it. I don't want to see any more of our freeware developers leave AVSIM because of thoughtless posts like this.BTW - I believe this is the first :-newburn I've ever posted, so thanks for bringing out the best in me...

>Hi everybody, >>There are no day without a patch for this, a patch for that, >a patch for the patch, etc... >>Boring! >>Please keep your files one more night and check it next day >before proceeding to upload. This will save time and disk >space at AVSIM! I just released my team's first project, the Socata TB20GT, after having spent seven months and over 5,000 man-hours in development.In spite of an extensive round of beta testing, and many last minute correctons, it still had a tiny error in the aircraft.cfg file that managed to 'sneak in' at the last minute.I notice that still hasn't kept over 2,221 people from downloading it, along with the 'fix file' that corrects my little boo-boo; and it hasn't even been available for a full 24 hours yet!With a 10 MB package containing nearly 3,000 individual files, I'm amazed that there isn't anything more serious wrong! :)I know that you mean well with your comment, but it can certainly be taken in more than one way. Trust me, we are very careful, but we also remain human, and thus subject to failure...

>now this...Why is it that people just come here to complain? >>*******...if it wasnt this, it would be a complaint for lack >of a patch! Well, enough of all this nonsense -- a more important question is when are you going to do a Gmax design for the floatplane (Lake?)in your sig?? :) Barry

You've been justly flamed. Good thing, I'm too tired to do it justice. Release freeware yourself, and please keep quiet about things you don't like about other peoples freeware.B

Guest SoarPics

Hi Jean-Claude,You won't get any sympathy for bashing the hobby's freeware creators amongst this group. Rightfully so.With your original post to this thread, you might start hoping that Avsim starts selling Nomex suits at it's online store.Hope your day gets better.Regards,

>Well, enough of all this nonsense -- a more important >question is when are you going to do a Gmax design for the >floatplane (Lake?)in your sig?? :) >>Barry Funny you should mention that...The Beriev BE103 is our next project...Expect the same (or better) quality as the Socata TB20GT.

Given the thankless attitude and habbit of flaming everything developers do that's currently the norm, I'm extremely surprised anyone is still making anything at all...I've started to learn using GMax, and my admiration for those who use it to create all those great addons (and the not-so-great ones too, which are still better than what I can do right now) grows every time I start up the program.My admiration for their patience and thick skin grows with every post I see on the forums here and elsewhere too...

Guest Edam

Freeware authors...Please ignore such comments made by individuals like Jean-Claude, and go about doing what you all do best...providing us with things that enhance FS which some of us can't do ourselves. And thank you for doing so. Personally, I have downloaded a number of things, FOR FREE, that have just blown me away due to the quality of them. Know that there are many that appreciate it, far more than those that complain about irrelevant issues.

I am still waiting for a patch for jean Claude and all the other freeware bashers/ complainers, anyone seen it?I design scenery and do an ok job of it. 70% of what I have uploaded has had to have something added to it, even after 4-6 beta testers. I have answered countless emails trying to help with installation problems and the likes, I to, want to upload and have everyone enjoy it WITHOUT any problems, but it doesn't always happen. Why am I defending something that I do for free, for others enjoyment, strange! I have 4 projects ready and sitting on my drive and I am still debating if I want to upload, especially after comments like this!GEEEEZZZ!http://www.geocities.com/res052cd/cmhbanner.gif

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest eko

Oh, he's certainly not the worst basher I've ever seen. Let's give the poor guy a break. :-)In one ear, out the other. This doesn't affect my release schedule at all. :-)