Sign in to follow this  

new PC for FS2002

I have the occasion to acquire for a good price a new Packard-bell computer with a Pentium P4 2.4 Ghz , 256 DDR ram , a 80 GB 7200 hard disk and a Gf4 MX 440 Graphics card.The Chipset is a Sis 651.Is this PC sufficient to have good framerates with eveything maximised?What about this Chipset Sis651 ? Is it good ?Thanks in advance.Guy

> a new >Packard-bell computer with a Pentium P4 2.4 Ghz , 256 DDR >ram , a 80 GB 7200 hard disk and a Gf4 MX 440 Graphics card. >The Chipset is a Sis 651. Guy,Packard-bell would not be my choice for a flight sim computer. The P4, 2.4 Ghz processor is good, but the motherboard in these machines is probably not the best and often can't be upgraded. If you are going to use Win XP, you will need at least 512 mb of ram. The Gf4 MX series of graphics card is on the low end of the scale - a GF4 TI is much better.My suggestion is for you to research what components would work well for FS2002, and then either build it yourself or find a reputable local PC shop to build it for you. Make sure you get a case with good cooling and an adequate power supply. You will pay a little more, but I'd wager you will be much happier in the long run.Dale

Guest KenG

Wow! :-eek I had no idea Packard Bell was even in business anymore. My first computer was a PB. That had to be the absolutely worst computer I ever owned. Motherboard went out twice. Monitor went out twice. Hard drive failed once. I couldn't upgrade it hardly at all. Basically this POS was not worth the plastic out of which it was made. I owned it for 2 years and that was 2 years too long. They may have improved somewhat, but I would still not touch one with a 10 foot pole.They're cheap for a reason: they use crappy parts.

If your getting a 2.4 pair it up with an ASUS mobo... These so called "Big name" companies such as Packard Bell don't really give you that great of components...sure your getting a 2.4, but the other components (which these companies always skimp on)are equally important to a great system. I have my 2.4b running stable at 2900mhz overclocked with an AVC Sunflower. To show you the power of this system, I then went and did some bios tweaking and gained another 3fps at Meigs bringing me up to 35fps sitting in the default Cessna everything cranked up, vis 60. Since my upgrade from my 1400mhz Tbird, I have gained 12 fps through hardware and Bios tweaking at Meigs default. Not to mention I can now fly with AI all over the place and not worry about a single stutter.ChrisP4 2.4b @ 2900ASUS p4S533 512MB Samsung 2700Leadtek Ti 4200 128MBFortissmo 7.1 Soundcard

Thanks for the information.Packard-bell is still very well in the business over here in Europe.I think they are still Number one for home computers in belgium and france. Guy

Guy:Stay away from Packard Bell Computers (IMHO). Their MoBo architecture is among the slowest and they use many proprietary components still that forces you to by parts from them if you wanted to upgrade in the future. Of course these PB parts can be purchased at a premium price vs. what they actually cost.Regards,Mike T.

I have nevertheless bought the Packard bell P4 2.4 ghZ computer now and I must say that it works great.With Fs2002 I can have everything (yes :everything , even antialassing and ATC ) Maximised and even on the big airports like San francisko or London I obtain Frame-rates in the high twenties that is 27-30 ( I have set the maximum to 30). For very short and rare moments ( fraction of second) it can go down to 18-20.It is true that PB uses cheaper components like the sis651 chipset, but if you look at the benchmarks that makes a difference of 2-5 % while comparing to the intel chipsets. But that is something you do not notice in practice. The only thing which doesn't please me are thoese blurry textures while flying high. But to my knowledge that is a general problem .Or is there a solution to this?I think in this regard Fs2000 was Better.Guy

Blurry textures are the result of not enough computer power. In particular, video card power. Turn your sliders down till the blurries go away. It'd also help if you lower the max frame rate. I set mine at 20fps max.