Sign in to follow this  
Guest CHRISH

Samsung 22" FS2004

Guest CHRISH

I have just moved over from a super Mitsubishi 21" CRT which has served me well, but at considerable expense to my eyesight !! So on Medical advise I had to change over to a Flat Screen, and my eyesight has improved but the quality of my FS experience has diminished unfortunately. I have invested in a Samsung 22" Monitor which has a DVI connection, I currently use the RGB connection from the monitor to my PC. My PC has a DVI connection which is fine but it seems impossible to conect the lead to the DVI connection on the Samsung Monitor? Does anyone know why this is, I invested in a DVI Cable to connect both DVI connections on the PC and monitor. I presume if I am using the RGB connection I am still on analogue? By the way does it make any difference by switching over to DVI?Sorry for the long post I just miss the superb qualtiy of a CRT screen!!Best Regards,Chris EGBB

Guest Scratch1964

Chris,Which model of Samsung 22" LCD do you have? In what way has the viewing experience diminished in comparison to the CRT display? If viewing angles are the problem and you have a TN type panel then this may go some way to explaining it. Many of the Samsung displays are amongst the best in their class. The trouble is that there are several classes of LCD display, and the panel types can vary enormously. The 22" SM226B has the TN type panel and has won many awards over the past 2 years, however it is not comparable to the superior 244T which utilises a superior PVA type panel. Both are LCD TFT monitors but with very different picture qualities and, thus the TN panel of the SM245B costs around one third of the cost of its 24" SM244T big brother. Some TN type panels also suffer from ghosting and motion blur as they often have slightly slower grey to grey response times than that of the more expensive PVA and MVA panels.Also, many 22" monitors utilise resolutions of 1650 x 1080 @ .28mm dot pitch, whereas a 21" display utilising the same resolution may boast a smaller .26mm or even .25mm dot pitch.Some members have reported problems viewing gauges in particular when going widescreen. The VC can often look stretched. This can be rectified if the monitor supports the native resolution of the game or 1:1 pixel mapping. Some widescreen LCD still don't unfortunately.I have a 24" PVA panel which I display FS9/FSX in at 1920x1200 res and I cannot fault it. At lower resolutions it just isn't the same.Scratch1964

Guest CHRISH

Many thanks Scratch it is the 2232 BW model if that makes any difference, according to the back of the monitor.I always found that the quality on the CRT was sharp and crisp espcially compared to most LCD monitors.The gauges look fine.Would it make any difference if I was to run this on DVI?, many many thanks.Best Regards,Chris

Guest Scratch1964

Chris,The SM223B is a very good value for money display. It does use the TN panel I believe, but the Samsung Syncmaster range has built up a fantastic reputation the world over. Many reviews speak very highly of these monitors.DVI-D would certainly be preferable. I have only ever run Flight Simulator software over DVI and so am perhaps not best qualified to comment on or compare with other connection types. They say digital is smoother than anologue, and so perhaps a little softer on the eye. I personally find text to be smoother and more rounded with digital.It shouldn't be a problem to connect a DVI-D plug to your GPU. Which GPU card do you have? Are you using a standard DVI-D cable with white or grey terminal plugs at each end? Can I ask why are you unable to make hte necessary digital connection to your GPU card?Scratch1964

Guest CHRISH

Thanks Scratch, they are the Black ones (with white inserts). I can connect to the GPU (Geforce Ultra 8800) but it wont connect to the Samsung monitor for some reason, but I am not sure why.Best regards,Chris

Guest Scratch1964

Chris,The pin configuration should look like this: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . __ . . . . . . . .i.e three rows of eight pins and on the right a small horizontal terminal. Both ends of the cable must have the same pin configuration.Acording to the ebuyer.com website the monitor has both a VGA (analogue) and DVI-D(Digital) input. Therefore a DVI-D cable should accomodate this without problem. Out of interest, were any cables supplied with the monitor when you received. According to Dabs.com and ebuyer.com the monitor should be supplied with a DVI-D cable.Am I right in assuming that the DVI-D cable's connector plug will not physically fit into the monitor's DVI socket? It should be exactly the same socket as on your very splendid GPU! Also the cable should have printed on its flex, somewhere "Digital" or "DVI-D". Sometimes the fit can be a bit tight or awkward to achieve, especially if the socket is buried up inside the monitor casing. If you can see the monitor's DVI socket then perhaps check that the pins are not bent, missing, or otherwise damaged. Likewise, I would check the plugs on either end of the cable, both for condition and against the configuration I drew (above) and that the flex clearly states Digital or DVI-D.Scratch1964

Guest IGoDwnTwn

I bought the Syncmaster 2232bw from Samsung.....awesome!!!!!IGO