Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jpanford

Quard core or Dual Core for FSX

Guest Jpanford

I know this is a heated debate, but I've got my order in for my new FSX build. I have pre-ordered the Q9450 and I tink I'll be able to overclock it to 3.6-3.8 using H2O, but if I get the E8500 dual core I can probably get it to 4.5 or higher because of the multiplier. I'm trying to future proof my rig and spending a lot of money on it but I don't want to spend $1000.00 on the CPU since I did that for my FX-55 and the price dropped to more than half in 6 months. So should I stay with the Quad or go for the Dual core. Thanks for all your help.Joe

Guest Scratch1964

Joe,It's a close one to call.Firstly, is your intention to use the set up for FSX alone, or for other tasks too? At the very intro of FSX I would have suggested dual or even single core, but things have moved forward quite considerably since then.The introduction of FSX SP1 has for many, including myself, provided a greater performance with dual core over single core thanks to the multicore support that SP1 allows. As Phil Taylor at Aces argued "SP1 contains multi-threaded code for terrain loading and in-flight generation of terrain textures; as well as for the batching of Autogen vegetation and buildings. This code is written to allow SP1 to use all available cores." Phil also suggested a 20% improvement and in some cases a 40% improvement with multicore technology in FSX w/SP1.On the other hand, certainly a higher CPU clock speed is always going to do more of everything. FSX is no exception to this, but it seems that by looking ahead to the future, then the emphasis will be far more on core numbers than raw clock speed. Notice how Intel and AMD are actually using slower clock speeds now than 18-24 months ago. Dual core technology over single core did, for example allow intel to produce CPU's at clock speeds as low as 2.16GHz, even 1.8GHz and still equal or, in many scenarios, beat the older higher clocked Plentium 4's and Athlon 64's of over 3.0GHz.If future proofing is your ultimate goal then I would argue very strongly in favour of quad core. However, if it is more important to get raw performance for the here and now then a higher clocked dual core would, in my opinion suffice. 3.6GHz compared to 4.5GHz is a big step up. Overall, I would opt for the Quad core, given the future of FSX.Scratch1964

Guest wayupthere

And to add to that. If you are intending to overclock. Remember that your PSU, mobo and memory come into play.Note on the Q9450:Its max mp is x8, having its flat out max at 3.6ghz,even the top notch mobos out now (450mhz FSB 3600x8) While the CPU is easily capable of topping 4.0+, most of todays mobos tend to stop running stable at 500mhz+ FSB using Quad-cores, limiting its OCing headroom for now.Regards,Davis

Guest Jpanford

So Davis you also recommend sticking with the Quad 9450 over the E8500. This rig will be primarily for games. Fs2004 and FSX will be also installed. Thanks for the debut guys, I'm going to use a 1066 and 4GB of memory and dual boot setup vista 64 and winxp. I'm using watercooling for the cpu, and vid cards/

Guest wayupthere

Hey Joe,Yeah I would definitely consider multiple cores over higher-rated Mhz any day now, so yeah stick with the 9450. MHz isn't everything anymore.Curious, what motherboard and PSU are you planning to use considering OCing it a little bit.Regards,

Guest jourdog

I would definitely go with quad core because the new Penryns clock much (Repeat Much) higher than any dual core. There are currently no Penryn Extreme dual cores meaning the multiplier is locked achieving lower overclocks. The penryn Quads can overclock to 4.3-4.6Ghz on air. Water will get you to 5GHz. Also becuase there is 2 more cores than a dual, three cores will be devoted to terrain and autogen loading meaning that your textures will load much faster and appear better visually.Jourdog.

Guest wayupthere

@Jourdog,5.7Ghz on watercooling? Mind sharing your setup and Thermal specs?.Hows your SuprPi and is it Primed 24/7? Also how do you have your timings, Vc and Vmem set?Regards,Davis

Guest jourdog

why does everyone think im using water cooling to get to 5.7Ghz? Im using a Phase-change cooler at -130C. I have 1.8Vcore i dont run SuperPi cause most of the time im flightsimming and i dont care about programs like that. I dont run 24/7 because i dont want to leave my computer running all night cause i dont need to and i dont like to. I run water cooling on my chipsets, vga and hard drive and my northbridge voltage is 1.75-1.80V. I have CPUPLL voltage at 1.6.Jourdog.

Guest wayupthere

Urgh calm down ok.. just a question..:-roll I just asked you that, assuming you said in another post water gets you to 5Ghz.. yours at 5.7Ghz being, was just a question.I just thought you were a hard geek overclocker like me, thats why I asked for your settings out of curiosity.. :-roll

Guest Jpanford

Sorry guys I couldn't wait any longer, so I went out to Micro-center and picked up the E8400 yesterday. It was so cheap I figured I can always get the Q9450 later. I paid $189.99 + tax. And got 2 EVGA 8800GTS 512MB, G.Skill 2X2GB PC8000, WD RE 250, and 2 WD raptor 74GB. I have a custom water cooling setup waiting for the rest of my order. I plan to partition the WD RE 250GB HD and install Vista 64 and Xp 32, can't figure out if I want to RaID0 the 2 raptors that will have FSX and FS2004 installed on. My case is the CM COSMO and I got a CM 750 Watt power supply. Almost forgot the mobo is EVGA 780i. I have a question for you guys I plan on setting the system up on my desk first install everything before I put it in the case and setup the water cooling kit, should I install all 4 GB of memory and both EVGA 8800 cards the first time or just one each get it stable then add the rest? Thanks again for your help guys.Joe

Guest IGoDwnTwn

Quad!!!!Just did a total upgrade of my PC. Top of the line stuff!!IGO

Guest jourdog

no offence but if it aint intel it aint top of the line

Guest wayupthere

Hi IGO,Always nice to hear someone happy with their setup.Hope you have lots of fun with it.Regards,Davis T.

Guest wayupthere

>>no offence but if it aint intel it aint top of the lineInstead of congratulating the happy guy with his setup, if you need to sound negative about it, then explain to him WHY, explain to him the differences in core-architecture, core layout and the likes, in sense what makes it NOT being top of the line. For all you know he doesn't know any better but just public advertising. Remarks and combined explanations help people out alot more than just blank statements.

Guest wayupthere

Hi Joe,Ohh ok, If you feel more comfortable that way, its justifiable ;)Some things though about that 780i.You may -or may not have some issues with your other components.The G.skill 8000 dimms, have been known to give you the 0X0000007E BSOD when using 4GB of RAM.If, and I hope not you recieve it, this should in most cases be the cure: [a href=http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=240AC3F3-2B60-4B70-B709-06B2BC5B1336&displaylang=en]KB929777[/a]As to your GPU, You may -or may not be able to run a single GPU in the second or third slot, some users have reported it has to be in the first slot.Problem with that is, that depending what type of CPU fan you have, if you have a 3rd party fan that blows vertically, it might blow straight onto the GPU, so just be careful how you set that up because limiting out/crossflow from the CPU is deadly.As to your question,You can install everything the first time, and set it all up. IF any problems arise, then take out as much as able, and then trouble shoot adding components as you go.Hope that helps,Regards,Davis T.