Sign in to follow this  
Guest sirkeen

Purchase Opinions..

Guest sirkeen

Hello all,I am about to put my order in for a new computer and thought it would be nice to hear some opinions from the local experts around here. Your input is very much appreciated!Processor - Intel Q6600Motherboard - ASUS P5K-SEHard Drive - Hitachi SATA2 500GBPSU - OCZ StealthxStream 600WRAM - 4GB OCZ Platinum PC-6400Video Card - EVGA GEForce 8800GT SuperclockedCase - ANTEC P180 ATXI am considering the Intel E8400 but based on topics in this forum, I think the quad is the better option.Regards

A system almost identical to mine. Overclocked, you'll get a good steady 25-over 60 FPS even in highly populated cities with about 60% traffic.The Intel E8400 has a native of 3.0 GHz and is 45nm, meaning you'll be able to overclock more with less heat output, a smaller die, and less power draw. Many people say the more cores there are, the better performance you'll get; this can be true, but not if one processor has faster clocks than the other. But more cores will give you less stutters and less blurries.Also, check out the link at the bottom of my post/signature, hope it'll help. Yes, I'm advertising, but it's all with good intentions ;).Also, if you have 4 GB RAM and a DX10 card, I recommend 64-bit Vista. Just my little suggestion.Regards,

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Guest sweetkaos

So how did it go with this system?I am evaluating this quad core, although i guess i would need a new graphic card and more memory. What do you Think:Packard Bell W1607- Intel Core 2 Duo Quad 6600 8Mb L" Cache- Memory: 3GB (3x1024MB) DDR2 667MHz- Harddisk: 320 Gb Sata 7200- DVD-Brenner RW +/- Duallayer- NVIDIA GeForce 8600GS, 512 MB DedicatedVGA/DVI grafik and tv - 8-i-1 card reader/LAN 10/100/1000 mBit- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium- Firewire /eSata/6x Usb2.0Screen wil probably get 2* 22 inch LCDBasically want to be back into the Flight Sim, been gone for some years. I like dynamic scenarios and city flying. The price for this system in Europe is quite ok, around $1200 US. ITs better to get it here for warranty issues.

Guest baksteen33

Hi Just some food for thought. With new boxes, stay away from things like 3x1GB or 2x1GB + 2x 512MB. This is being subject to RAM clearances IMHO. Get 2x2GB instead. For using and gaming, Vista is good, to work I wouldn't recommend it. IMHO, go dual boot (with XP) if you require a (reliable) working environment as well. Upto 1280x, 128-bit adapters will do a fair job. Above that resolution, a more powerful adapter is indicated IMHO. Hence, a GF8600 will not be optimal for the 1680x a 22" TFT does. If Vista (and provided all your software and hardware is compatible), I would recommend the 64-bit version. Vista32 as is, is not too good IMHO. If Vista and you can delay the purchase until after Vista SP1, which is to come very soon, I would. The lower the resolution, the cheaper - potentially! - a good box. Kind regards Jaap

Guest sweetkaos

Thanks for your reply.I will try to evaluate. The other thing is that my experience with Win XP 64, was not good, since there was nothing compatible, and no antivirus, so if i get over 3.4 GB, would only be used in a 64bit OS, but are they much better now for all the regular programs we have?I guess the dual boot is a great solution also.There is so much uncertainty in both new CPUs and Vista versions, dont really know if in 1 month the situation will be different.what about if i build it my own, which MB will you recommend so that i can overclock a Q6600, here is a list of the ones i have access to. I live in Norway, and we dont have that many places for building your pc :)http://www.komplett.no/k/kc.aspx?bn=10111

Guest baksteen33

Hi, About mainboards, IMHO, just avoid mainboards with ADI soundchips if you're a DIY-er and going to use onboard sound. With ADI, OEMs have to update drivers and I wouldn't bet anything, they'll update them long term as well. I would therefore try to rely on 'external' driver makers, i.e. Realtek. ADI is only OK in Dell and other mass production environments. OTOH, in case you swap everything in a years time anyway, please neglect. :-) About OC-ing, I'm the wrong guy to ask. Which OS is a matter of multiple considerations. XP64 without AV however, should be quite a while ago. Kind regards Jaap

Guest sweetkaos

Thanks for your help guys,one last question,at this time would you think its time for getting FSX in a Vista OS witha directx 10 capable vifeo card like teh 8800 GT? or I am just wasting my money, and should go for directx 9 in an xp environment?

Guest baksteen33

Not to mention the 3rd option, DX9 on a Vista toaster! ;-) Most hi-end GPUs are marketed as DX10 capable anyway. Perhaps also have a look at X38xxs? Kind regards Jaap