Sign in to follow this  
Guest johnegg

Tips Please when installing new Vid card

Guest johnegg

Hi, does anybody have any useful tips for installing a new graphics card ?I am taking out a 7950GT and installing a BFG 8800 GT OC 512Mb.I believe I can continue to use the same driver which has worked well, 169.21 I believe.Is there anything I must do prior to changing cards or after, particularly regarding the FS config file ?Any help gratefully recieved as I am a complete novice when it comes to whats in the case !!Regards JohnCore2 Duo 66002048 MB DDR160GB HDDNVidia 7950 512mbCH Products Yoke & PedalsHead TrackerRC4AShttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

Guest retard_retard_retard

You will be best to remove the old card then remove the drivers for it and do a clean with driver cleaner or similar then do a restart. Turn the computer off again and physically install the new card followed by your drivers for it.Once all is installed you should see the new card listed in display properties inside flight sim. Just to be sure there aren't any conflicts you should check your fs9/fsx.cfg and make sure all entries for the 7950GT have been removed. The best way to do this might be do delete the .cfg and start flight sim so it makes a fresh one( unless you have a modified .cfg)Asus Striker Extreme 680i SLICore2Duo E6600 OC'd - 3.2GhzCorsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2Nvidia 8800GTS x2 SLI OC'd - 651/1051Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000RPMSeagate 500GB WD 7200RPM RAID 0CoolIT Freezone Elite TEC/Chiller CPU Cooling Unit2 Samsung SM226BW 22" DualviewWindows Vista Ultimate 32bitSaitek x45 controllsBig Visa bill

Guest noell

I always do it this way:Set a restore point.Uninstall the old driver.Boot into safe Mode.Run a driver cleaner program.Reboot back to Windows normal mode.Run a registry cleaner.Power downRemove the old card.Power up.Install the driver for the new card.Some may consider it the long way round but its safe and guarantees a clean install especially when switching from Ati to Nvidia.....Noell