Sign in to follow this  
brucek

What's best to check for viruses and any other malware

I have AVG 7.5 (free edition) and have often wondered how effective this is in preventing any nasties being installed on my PC. I am willing to pay for an anti-virus / anti-malware/trojan etc. program but dont know which is best while preserving performance for FSX. Does anyone have a recommendation? I don't know that I have anything bad installed, but would like to have something to be sure.Thanks, Bruce.

Bruce- I've been using AVG for 3 generations- latest is 8.0. Never had a problem. (Running FS9). Only question I have re 8.0- programme loading times seem longer. Anybody noticed this?My local 'puter shop tells me AVG is the only A/V they advise and is all they include on their new build 'puters.Alex Reid

Hi Alex,Thanks for your reply. Interesting to see AVG recommended like that. Do you use any other spyware/malware detection software as well as AVG?Thanks- Bruce.

Bruce- No, just AVG Free. No problem in 3 years of use.Alex Reid

Guest Scratch1964

Bruce,I too use AVG antivirus and can vouch that it is a solid product. However, I believe Kaspersky AV to be superior, if somewhat more labour intensive on the CPU. It's almost too powerful! It literally blocks and questions everything. So much so, that after a month I decided to revert back to AVG. Have also tried Norton, Pc-Cillin and others, but find AVG is most comfortable to work with. If anything AVG occasionally reads files as trojans which are in fact harmless, whereas Kaspersky seems to know the difference between a uncommon Trojans and certain third party files.With regards to spyware I can certainly recommend Spyware doctor. It too provides a solid base. I believe at one time it was considered to be the No.1 product in its class blocking 94% of all spyware. Lavasoft Ad-aware, by comparison with the same test blocked only 52% of spyware infections.performance of FSX is likely to be compromised if you leave these antivirus etc. on whilst simming. I presonally always close down as many progs as possible. I am generally not online when I fly (excepting active sky occasionally) so I can safely switch the AV scanner off.My advice would be to upgrade to AVG8 and concentrate on installing two or thre good anti spyware utilities (Spywareblaster, Spybot and Spyware Doctor) OH...BTW Spyware Doctor can be downloaded for free as part of the Google Toolbar package. One can check/uncheck the options not required for download. I personally hate toolbars and so unchecked everything except Spyweare Doctor when downloading.Good luck!Scratch1964

Thanks Scratch, I appreciate the info. Sounds like AVG8 is it! Thanks also for the Spyware utilities.Bruce.

Guest Scratch1964

BrucePleasure! I hope they work well for you.Just one other I forgot to mention if you don't already have it: Comodo Firewall Pro! v3.0 It's an absolute gem! An award winner no less! It can be downloaded for free from many different locations online. You'll need to configure it. Although learning mode watches and remembers all your safe applications. So, for example, after a couple of weeks of normal usage Comodo will no doubt have learned what's safe to access on your hard drive and you won't get asked so frequently.GOod luck!Scratch1964