Sign in to follow this  
G-SWSM

Program Starting Help Needed Please.

Hi All.I wonder if anyone in here might be able to help me with something.I am running Win XP Pro with SP3, and all MS Up-Dates etc.But last week I noticed that I could not start nHancer, I also found that I could not start up Vroute and when I went to try and install Windows Media Player 11 again, the install failed.I have removed and re-installed Vroute and nHancer, but this made no difference at all.I should point out that I have not installed or removed anything else as such, except for the new Digital Aviation Fokker.Everything else is running just fine etc, and I have not had any errors from any programs.When I try and start any of these apps, I get the standard Windows error message type oblong box saying it failed to start, and that I should report it to MS etc.I'm just confused as to why this has happened, and would welcome any thoughts on this from any of you as to what your thinking is behind this strange phenomenon.Many thanks in advance for any help with this.

Hi All.Just a heads up for you.I have just downloaded Kens newest program, and I get the same thing when I try to start it up.Here is the error message box text >AppName: alacritypc.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.48 AppStamp:47f101cbModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.5512 ModStamp:4802a12cfDebug: 0 Offset: 00012aebI'm getting pretty desperate now, as I have no idea why this is happenng.Thanks again for any thoughts.

Some time ago, I had a similar problem. Some programs would just not start, my Canon MX850 all-in-one software didn't want to start etc...I started looking for a culprit, until I found an older program I used to manage my icons, Stardock Icon Packager. It was a DLL file which always loaded with windows, but wasn't registered in taskamanger or process explorer.After I removed it, all was ok. You probably don't have it, but I would start by ghosting your current windows, and experimenting with updates, programs, which you have installed etc... It took me couple of days to find it, but was well worth the effort. Updating the program solved all problems.

Guest Scratch1964

Steve,The error messages you have been receiving appear to be as a result of the XP service pack III recently installed. In particular a kernel32.dll is an integral part of the core of the Windows operating system and may have been changed as a result of the large SP3 upgrade. Certainly Ken's program which runs under SP2 without issue is not to blame here at all.There have been several (annoyances) issues with SP3. I have both XP x86 and x64 with the service packs. As soon as I rebooted after upgrading I lost all of my ftp/ip and networking capabilities. I tried literally everything, but after 48 menacing hours I discovered that SP3 had changed core files within my Comodo Firewall pro to the extent that even though I turned off all firewalls I was completely unable to network. The fix was to uninstall the firewall on all PC's and reinstall. Even though I did not touch Comodo at any time, Windows had still managed to alter core files within this program. Sadly, it is one of the greatest downfalls of Windows. It is a monolithic operating system, whereby programs are written to its innermost shell (i.e. the core of the operating system) thus one program or update may adversely affect any other within the same shell. Other operating systems which are connstructed entirely differently do not suffer such problems. With Linux for example, with the exception of one Nvidia driver I know of, no updates or programs share the core of the operating system in the same way as with Windows. Thus, the result is that when one program is updated it does not upset the entire operating system as with Windows.If only we could get the same flight simming experience with Linux as with XP. Maybe one day...Scratch1964