Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pabra

Socata "ghost aircraft" fix

>I really don't see any problem with the FDE file. It's a >small airframe with a very powerful engine. All that adds up >to a HUGE amount of torque, which is why you zoom off to the >right if you JAM the throttle forward. The easiest FDE "fix" >that I know of is to ease the throttle forward s l o w l y. >This is a fantastic airplane, Bill. Thank you very much for >your generosity. Thank you John..."For the Record"It was a collaborative effort by the many, very talented people who make up the team:Factory Aircraft Rebuilders Technology SystemsAdditionally, I would like to thank all of the members of the Panel and Aircraft Design Forum who freely shared their collective knowledge and experiences with a bunch of 'newbies' who stumbled into the Socata Project with starry eyes and a grandiose vision... :)Without their immense support and encouragement, this Project would have never seen a public release!

Hello All,Curious George here."NOT JAMMING THE THROTTLES TO THE WALL" I can barely get down the runway. I use a logitec extreme wingman stick with a "rudder" axis on the stick ... after wiggling down the runway, I finally took off from Merril Meigs .. due north, by 500 feet I was heading ENE by the time I got the AP on and I was then heading east and the AP turned me 90 north to get to the 360 heading I had set.Now, the AP tamed the plane down until on approach I had to fight the last 1000 feet to not turn east (just a simple Meigs circuit)I don't have rudder pedals ... and I have a very difficult time without the AP on ... which is a shame.This can't be what the aircraft flies like in the real world??? can it? I understand the concept of torque ... but at 100 mph, the vertical stabilizer should help make the thing go straight vs an constant bank to the right.As Fr Bill pointed out, patience is a virtue and perhaps the team might put together a tamer FDE for us wimpy old guys (me)hahahaNever owned a porche sadly .. nice Camaro once 20 yrs ago, o well it did not do well in the snow until I put 200 pounds of sand in the rear wheel well ... unreal ... getting the same feeling here.Thanks for a great effort here ... this is OBVIOUSLY a VERY BIG labor of LOVE for you guys!!!!!! and it shows ... Perhaps you can help an old dog learn to fly it.

>Although the Socata really is a fairly squirrily (sp) >aircraft (that's why I call it the "Porsche of the Skies"), >clearly there are many who're so accustomed to the >letharigic handing characteristics of the 'typical FS2k2 >aircraft' that we need to make accomodations for them... >>BTW, this is not a criticism of anyone's tastes >and/or abilities; but merely a reflection of what the >simming public wants! :) >>So, I say "let's give everyone a choice!" >>Thanks for your continued patience... :) BillNO NO NO!!!!!!!-- if the aircraft you and your team designed performs as it should, then please leave it that way!! But maybe you could explain in the relevant README file that "perhaps" people may find it unusual compared to other FS2002 aircraft.I have been struggling for the past week with the Junkers 52 -- a really great looking , sounding and flying FS2002 aircraft -- but it has a rather unusual characteristic in the way it flies (I wont say what here ) -- but I don't know if this is a "mistake" on the part of the designer or is actually a genuine characteristic of this old bird.Barry

>This can't be what the aircraft flies like in the real >world??? can it? I understand the concept of torque ... but >at 100 mph, the vertical stabilizer should help make the >thing go straight vs an constant bank to the right. >My results are still different. "Wild" swing to the right, at throttle application, and then everything is rather normal after correcting heavily for the "un-normal" swing. I remember the DF Archer had a swing to the right, but not this strong, on it's initial release. It was quickly corrected with a patch. Just tried it from Meig's myself, and find it very easy to cruise along nearly hands off and no auto-pilot. As to why it banks hard to the right for some?? Beat's me!L.Adamson

>>NO NO NO!!!!!!!-- if the aircraft you and your team designed >performs as it should, then please leave it that way!! But >maybe you could explain in the relevant README file that >"perhaps" people may find it unusual compared to other >FS2002 aircraft. >So far, I see that we have those who have banking to the right, and those that don't. I'm in the don't group. But I have seen the turn to the right at throttle up mentioned numerous times, and that applies to me also.Now for the facts........ The Trinidad uses a Lycoming 540 six cylinder engine that develops 250 HP. Looking at the front, the prop will be spinning counter-clockwise. On throttle up, this should cause the aircraft to begin a drift to the "left" which is countered by right rudder. Considering the weight of the aircraft, I also won't assume the torque to be too over-powering. Whoever thought it was hard torqing to the right, as normal........... is wrong.With exception of the "hard right" bug on throttle up, I find this plane very easy to trim in cruise. But then I see other postings from those who seem to have trimming problems. L.Adamson

Guest Pabra

I guess we all don't have 'realism settings' set the same :-).Set them to easy and even the ranger is a piece of cake to fly.But I haven't tried the socata yet; I will soon!