Sign in to follow this  
Wolfko

Question regarding "transferring" FS9 to a new rig

This is not exactly pure Hardware question and therefore I have it also posted on the FS9 Forum and in addition on the MSFS Hardware Forum.Next week i shall get a new rig. Hence my question: what is the best way to transfer FS9 from my old system to the new one. I have collected lots and lots of addons, freeware and payware over the past few years and want to avaoid to go throught the installing procedures again. For freeware this would be a to big a problem, but for payware with all the registration and license huzzle...Maybe a stupid idea: will it work if I just tranfer the hard drive from my old system to the new one? In my old sys I only had 1 HD, so I assume everything necessary should be on it. And the HD would be compatible with the new system.Any hints an tips are very welcome.Thanks in advanceWolfgang

Well, I've done it several times. The trick is to install a new copy onto you new computer so the FS is registered properly. Run the new copy once to initiate FS on your system. This will also ensure you have the FS installed and runable on your present computr.Once you have the FS installed and running properly, you can rename the new FS folder to FSNEW. You then copy the old FS folder to the new drive and the same subfolder where FSNEW resides. Once copied, you should have the following:H:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XNEWH:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XStart the FS with the old and see if it will run properly. If so, you can enjoy all the updates you had previously. If not, rename the Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder to Microsoft Flight Simulator XOLD, rename Microsoft Flight Simulator XNEW to Microsoft Flight Simulator X, restart the FS and ensure it still runs properly.I hope this helps. I did the above on numerous occasions with MSFS 2004 and it works fine. I don't know if there are any problems doing the above with FSX.W. Sieffert

There's a freeware tool available for d/l FS_Registry_Repair.http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exe

dual boot: win8.1pro64bit (primary) | win10pro64bit  | mobo: MSI Prestige x570 Creation | cpu and cooler:  AMD 5950X; Noctua NH-U12A | ram: 4each 8gb sticks of ddr4-3200 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 | gpu:  nvidia RTX2070Super Founders Edition| lcd: LG 24" 4k, LG 24UD58-B

Did you have any problems with payware products :eg: CaptainSim or Cloud9 ?Thanks

Hi guys,Thanks for responding. Since there was no reply to my question in this forum for 10 days I actually thought none had responded. Nice to see that some have now answered though.I have transferred everything to the new rig. Here are some details, which I had also posted previously on the FS2004 forumQuote