Sign in to follow this  
Bluescaster

Changing Graphics drivers

Hi All, I've been simming for many years and due to an old system have remained with FS9 until now. Although I've not changed my system I was given a copy of FSX Delux as a present. I loaded it up, not really expecting much after reading so much about the problems (unless blessed with a high end PC)In fact, out of the box it ran surprisingly well! I've added SP1 & 2 and am frankly enjoying using it. A friend tells me that the official Nvidia drivers leave a lot to be desired (I've never noticed any problems!!) It was recommended I loaded "Omega" drivers for an improved performance.I'm reluctant to change the drivers without some advice from those with more knowledge than I. Previously I have received excellent advice from this forum as I've struggled to improve my knowledge. Could anyone advise me please?My question is: Would these new "Omega" drivers make any difference to the displayed graphics? I'd always assumed the 'card makers' drivers would be the best.Thanks for reading this at least.System: Asus A7N8X-E Motherboard. AMD Athlon 3200+ CPU. 2X HDD - NOT SATA (1 for FS, 1 for O.S etc.) Windows XP Home SP2. Nvidia 7800GS+ (AGP) Card. CRT Monitor "Flatron" - 1280X1024. RAM DCZ PC3200 2GB - (2X 1GB)DDR Platinum. mXTC CAS2.***Well I said it was old;-) and I don't necessarily know what all the numbers and letters mean!! *****Regards Blue.

Blue- delighted to hear from a simmer flying on a 'puter similar to, and nearly as old as mine! (Similar ASUS A7N8X-X MB but only AMD XP2200 with 2GB RAM and 2-GeForce FX 5200 cards driving triple monitors .) Isn't it interesting how these "Smithsonian" class machines continue to soldier on? (As Gen McArthur said- "old soldiers never die- they just fade away!")Running FS9 only- haven't attempted FSX on this antique!Thought you might be interested in a pic from the "old veteran".(haven't a clue what graphics drivers are inside- they were installed two years ago by a tech who also added RAM for me. I get all sweaty just opening the case to blow out dust every year or so!) Alex Reid At Stewart, in the British Columbia coast mountains, near the Canada/Alaska border. DreamFleet Bonanza. FS9.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192080.jpg

Greetings Alex, from the beautiful South Coast of England.That is some set-up you have there, thanks for the shots.I'm afraid that FSX is not quite up to the level you have there but it is a super piece of work. As said I was pleasantly surprised that my system could run it at all. I'm sure in time I shall convert fully but it will be a long time yet as FS9 does what I want it to do. I only have the one monitor but much scenery etc. that I'm loath to lose. Incidently I'm very passionate about your neck of the woods and spend much time flying around the Bella Coola area of beautiful B.C.Good luck now!Regards, Blue

Hi Blue- from beautiful Vancouver Island! You should plug another monitor onto your video card and have at least double width horizon/scenery. It's that simple. Single view FS is like looking at the world through a mailing tube!While you are at it, scan the junk boxes for an old GeForce PCI card and you are set for triple mons!Monitors too expensive? I mix an LCD with 2- 8 yr old CRTs. There are simple settings in Panel Config to adjust for any combination of bezel widths- and in the process synch the horizons in roll & pitch.You will be absolutely amazed at how your flying skills improve with a wider horizon!!------(When the weather is very hot here in Victoria, we sometimes ask- "Is Bella Coola?")Alex ReidDreamFleet Bonanza on approach to Stewart BC.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192085.jpg

Hi again Alex,I'm not sure about plugging another monitor in (although I have a 15 in. around somewhere) I also have a couple of other cards around but with 3 monitors I wouldn't be able to get on my desk:-)And don't tell the Royal Air Force it would improve my flying - they trained me many years ago and are sensitive about suggestions others could do it better:-)Regards, Blue

"------but with 3 monitors I wouldn't be able to get on my desk:-)"-----------Blue: Ah- the difficult we do right away- the impossible takes a little longer. My 3 mons are set up in a 48" wide space behind the Master Bedroom door. (The LCD is angled at 45

Guest jahman

Gotta love that view, Alex! That's a very nice view indeed.Are you driving the triple monitors with the Maxtor TripleHead2Go?One of my favourite flights (in FSX) is taking Milton Schupe's Howard from Bella Bella to Bella Coola! The views are quite spectacular.Chers,-jahman.

Hi again Alex, Loved your solution and the sewing room diversion;-) ...... nothing short of brilliant!! Mind you, your good lady probably tells it something like this...... "...of course getting a fully equipped sewing room was a breeze once I promised him a corner of the bedroom for his 'flight thingummy jig' you know!"In any event.... Congratulations on the Flight deck; the subterfuge and of course the 52 years with your chosen one:-)Regards, Blue

jahman- Thanks. No,I don't have TH2GO. The monitors are driven direct from video cards & my old AMD XP2200 1.8Ghz system.Main(centre)mon & Right mon are connected to the two ports on the AGP GeForceFX5200 card. Left mon is plugged into a PCI same type card. In Windows Display settings, Desktop is extended across all three mons - mouse cursor for example slides across all three from far left to extreme right. Effect is one big monitor with a resolution of 3072x768. (ie 3x 1024x768)This arrangement allows for 3 different FS views to be displayed- Left Fwd, Fwd, Right Fwd. With some simple adjustments in Panel Config to compensate for monitor bezel widths, all 3 views/horizons become synchronized in roll and pitch.Since each FS View covers a 45

Guest jahman

Alex,Indeed, I'm hesitant about getting the TH2Go for the reasons you mention! I guess I was hoping the TH2Go would allow independent views for each panel.I found Don Grovestine

Jahman- have you got an old monitor gathering dust somewhere? Does your video card have a second port? Try connecting another mon here, then activate it & extend your desktop in Display/Settings as I described. If it works, I can lead you thru simple Panel Config settings to make monitor bezels "disappear". And don't worry- LCDs & CRTs mix just fine. It bears repeating again- a wide horizon is the number one addon for Flight Sim. Single mon tunnel vision is arcade stuff!Alex ReidDreamFleet Bonanza Gate 6 CYYJ Victoria "Ready for taxi" (YYJ scenery by Don Grovenstein- AVSIM Lib.)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192110.jpg

Guest jahman

Alex,No extra monitors lying around at this point, but I

Hi again Alex ..... and ALL,Looks like I've been 'hi-jacked' to a wide screen post;-) All really interesting I know......and I've dug out my old monitor to check it out but................ anyone have any help re. the original drivers question please:-) ?? Best Regards Blue

Hi Blue- My apologies for diverting the conversation from your original query. Being technically computer illiterate, I can't offer much.But I have the feeling that much of the talk about achieving faster FS performance is similar to the ads & commercials for devices that "will dramatically improve the fuel mileage of your car!!!!" I'm quite reluctant to experiment with "theory" and risk screwing up something that already runs quite well. Or "don't mess with success". Call me cautious????Alex Reid