Sign in to follow this  
PeterR

Question re: Bjorn's MD500D

When flying in the 500D, the craft likes to take off backwards when you leave the ground. Upon inspection from the outside, when the helo is on the ground, the plane of the main rotor is tilted back quite a bit. Only when pushing the cyclic full forward does it lie parallel to the ground *. Is this normal (i.e. does a real 500 require lots of forward cyclic to take off into a hover)? I didn't notice this tilt in some photos I have of the 500D. Could it be due to the orientation of the rotor itself or the angle of the skids? If it's the rotor, does anyone know how to adjust it?* The model doesn't take into account precession so disregard that detail in the rotor tilt/orientation. As Bjorn said, "This aircraft is depicted as an artist's presentation only."

It appears to me that this is due to the skid angle, though I don't know if this is accurately modeled. In reviewing my instant replays, I tilt forward a bit to enter and maintain a stationary hovor, and the fronts of the skids are the last point to leave the ground.This by no means takes full forward cyclic for me. How do you have your sensitivity/deadband set?

My sensitivity is max with zero deadzone. I was only looking at the external view of the helo with skids fully on the ground when moving the rotor to a position parallel with the ground, not actually hovering. When you're off the ground, I agree that it doesn't take full forward cyclic.So, if it's the skids, then that means that I need to learn Gmax to fix it. I seem to recall that there was a float version of his helo? Does it also tilt back? I don't want to fix the wrong thing :-)

Well, I'm gonna take a guess here about this rotor buisness:It seems to me that the MD500 is generally a fast helicopter. For a helicopter to move horizontally, the rotor disc must be tilted in the desired direction....in this case, forward. The faster you want to go in this (or any) direction, you must tilt the rotor disk at a greater angle into the desired direction. If the MD500 would sit perfectly flat on the ground, the cabin would have an uncomfortable downward angle during cruise, since this is a relatively fast helicopter. The problem with the FS model of this helicopter, is that the rotor disc is not aligned with the horizon when it sits on the ground...in stead, it is aligned with the helicopter, wich is leaning back slightly due to the skids, and this is to minimise the down angle of the cabin during cruise. SO, all we need is someone who knows a thing or 2 about .air files to adjust the static angle of the rotor disc, and we will be in buisness!Max

I found a photo of the military version of this thing and its skids were definitely shorter in the rear. So I suspect you've got the right idea, Max. The rotor needs to be realigned. I remember seeing an air file tool on simviation. I'll have to check it out.

Guest Calb

Max,Unfotunately, the plane of the main rotor is not a function of the .air file -- it is strictly in how it was built by the author.In the past 2 years, there has been ONLY ONE helicopter of the "tilted-forward-rotor" variety that has been correctly built for FS. That is Shlomo Hakim's CH53IAF (there's a US Navy repaint available).To give you an idea of what I mean, have a look at this http://members.shaw.ca/cbooth/helihover.htmCalhover long and prosper

yes, i'm aware.......but we are discussing the flight model only. The visuel model is fantastic as is, in my opinion.

Guest Calb

Perhaps you misread -- the "static angle", or any other angle of plane of main rotor CANNOT be adjust through the .air file. The images I directed you to are to illustrate they are always at a FIXED angle in relation to the rest of the aircraft.If you are STILL convinced it can be "fixed" by an .air file expert, so be it. Good luck.Calhover long and prosper

Cal,Does the CH53IAF model with the tilted rotor tend to go forward when you first lift off? Since its rotor is tilted forward, I would guess so. The 500D model tends to go backwards at lift off because the rotor tilts back (relative to the ground, not the body) due to the angle of the skids. Once the 500D is in a hover, the body pitch seems correct (front of skids lower than rear; see photo below) or maybe the photo is misleading with regard to the pitch of the skids.

The 500 in the back shows its rotor tilted well forward..... :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest Calb

Francois,Yes, if the CH53IAF is lifted off in the same attitude as it sits on the ground, it will most certainly go forward. Lifting off into a hover requires proper piloting technique. The nose wheel must be lifted off first and when the hovering attitude is attained, a touch more power will bring you up into a 3-5 ft hover.As for the OH-6 images -- I find them both inconclusive. The one in the background has the rotor stopped. Only the forward blades are visible and I think the blade droop creates the illusion it is tilted forward. The aircraft in foreground appears to me to be just beginning forward flight which would account for the slight forward tilt of the skids but there's really no way to tell for certain. The kind if images we need are difficult to find.Calhover long and prosper

The kind if images we need are difficult to find.You can say that again, Cal. I've been looking at many, many images. The ultimate solutions are (1) a video or (2) an OH-6/MD500 pilot.

Hi allConcerning the MD500 (or 520/530 whatever...), when the rotorhead stands neutral, it's tilted slightly forward. The Fs model does have it's rotorhead horizontal towards the ground.....hence the backward flying, as due to the skids, on the ground, the -500 stands slightly nose up. (guess the only serious flaw of Bjorn's splendid model)Wishes,Shoshana :-smile12

Hi Shoshana !!! How are you doing down there !!?? Having fun I hope :-)I have been trying the 500 all evening now... got some screenshots this time too ...LOL!! Don't know if I'll share them here .... :-roll :-roll It definitely ALWAYS flies backwards when taking off.... unless you push the stick forward... but then it's difficult to gauge 'how much' ! :-( I am not a good pilot yet..... glad I know more about making pictures ...;-) :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cc3af591d0ea72a.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog