Sign in to follow this  

Rudder pedals question

This may seem a somewhat silly question but I haven't ever flown a real plane. I just got the CH Pro Pedals and am wondering when you push the right rudder pedal should the plane yaw to the left or the right? It seems more natural that my body (hips) mimic the yaw motion of the plane (to the left), but that is not how the pedals were configured by default in FS2002. Thanks for any info,Tony.

Left push = nose to the left etcIt will feel natural after some time :-)/Tommy

Also, to initiate a regular turn you're supposed to bank and yaw simultaneously in the same direction to keep the "ball" centered. When you bank the ball tends to fall inside the turn (gravity) and applying rudder pulls it back the other way (centrifugal force). A good turn is supposed to be thus "coordinated": keeps your airplane balanced vs. these 2 forces (gravity and centrifugal). There are tons of infractions to this, but it's for later.

To get "more" confusing..............I look down at my thrustmaster pedals which have an exposed bar between the pedals. Kind of like handle bars. Now if this bar was attached to one of them homemade go-karts where you used your feet to steer (pushing directly on the bar), and you pushed with your right foot, it would go "left" like your hips. Same will happen with handlebars on a "three-wheeler".Now if I was to push with my right hand on a 2-wheel motorcycle or bicycle with any amount of forward motion besides a crawl, the vehicle will turn right. What does this have to do with airplanes........... absolutely nothing, except the 2 wheeler and the airplane eventually turn the same direction.. :)L.Adamson

Thanks for the detailed replies! The twisting action required on the joystick had given me the wrong idea of what motion I thought would be required on the pedals. I love these pedals - I actually enjoy taxiing around the airport now.Tony.

Guest Frank Betts

Hmmm. L Adamson could you explain that just one more time only slower?