Sign in to follow this  

Remodeling for privat use?

Hello,I saw that someone can convert *.mdl filesto *.dxf by a tool called Mdl2dxf32d witch I can edit with my cad-program for dummies. It was told that it workson the great helomodels by Ian Standfast witchwere done for FS98 and FS2000 so all credits goes to thatgreat modeler.My question: because all that legal stuf can I go thatway and edit Ian's models -transparent windows, workingdoors, VDC!, etc.- for my privat use?regards, Hobbes

Thats all a little to fast for me.Next would be importdfx and you have agmax-model.And i was wondering whats the reason forthose "converted Gmax-models"

For private use, there shouldn't be any problem. But if you want to give out the converted model, you need to check the readme that came with the model or contact the author to see if you can freely distribute it or not. If the model says that you can do whatever you want with it, be sure to include credit for the source of the original model.

I have sent IAN many MANY emails and not a single reply - but no bounce either so he IS getting them.....I HOPE he responds as I need 2k2 quality versions :)with 2k2 lights and high def textures....Richard GreenVATUSA4Events and VA Director

Guest Calb

Sorry Richard, even if he did respond to you, he would simply tell you he does NOT do requests.Perhaps there is someone else on this forum that's been around long enough to know and verify Ian has posted same on Keith's on more than one occasion in years past?Calhover long and prosper

Yes Cal is right, i remember way back when Ian posted and replied to messages back at Keiths (it seems so long ago.) He doesn't do any requests, when he was pumping out models he would pick out a couple of his favorite or most popular paint jobs. If you happened to get lucky and he did one you liked aswell, so be it. As far as edited the mdl, as long as you keep it to yourself you'll be ok, but trying to upload it without Ian's permission would be a bad idea. I know Ian is extremely busy right now with his job and attempts to gain his helicopter PPL. Good luck p.s. Hey Cal great to see you around on this forum, what do you want to see in FS2004? Anything? Besides a beautiful S76 fully loaded.Brent

I can tell you Ian wouldnt be happy with with anyone editing his models. In fact if involves structure changes he will be ticked. He does allow repaints of his aircraft in the basic *.*af format. He wasn't happy when someone repaint a helicopter of his in the BMP format. Ian is a very busy person with a family. Over the past two year he has been spending his free time with the family. I don't think you will see much out of him. Cal and I both have tallked to Ian on a regular basis before. Up until a year ago, I spoke with Ian aleast once a week and helped with photos of the helicopters he did. All I can say it is best that you don't edit any of his aircraft without his permission. I wouldn't want to do anything that would upset him. He did tell me in the last email that he would be getting around to updating his helicopters but it would take time. I am hope that the long silence from him means they are being worked one. If not, he is spending time with the family. Which from what I am learning is a very important time.

Well, in the US, copying and modification for personal use falls under the category of "fair use" in the Copyright law. So, no one should be getting upset if you give a model a freaky paintjob or make structural enhancements for your own entertainment. The key here is personal use. You can't give the copy or modification to anyone else or put it out where others can get it without permission from the copyright holder (i.e. the creator).Of course, if anyone is concerned, they should consult a copyright attorney for their particular location and situation. But I think the principle is pretty straightforward and there's always the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as you would have them to unto you."

Hello,Like you know, i was starting with a little helomodeling.It was very nice to have a look at Ian's models -so muchto learn- these are great models so much live but a lowfacecount. As witch FS2002 the facecount exploded but thatmakes not a good model -so you can take his work as a pieceof art made for its place and time- and I am not the kind ofperson witch would hurt the feelings of someone or will ruinits work.However, for me it was like to copy a great painting to learnto paint, so lets say I miss Ian Standfast as a great teacher.regards, Hobbes

Guest Calb

Hi Brent,I have no expectations of FS2004. I'll be glad they don't drop the helo like they did the Concorde. When you consider the 4 years of intense non-stop bashing it took, it's a wonder it didn't get dropped from FS2002 too. Some people think they CAN'T do that. Sure they can. Helo enthusiasts make up only a VERY SMALL percentage of FS users. It's loss would anger a bunch of people but it really wouldn't hurt their sales. Boycott? Heh! I seem to remember a BIG NAME Flight Simulator website that promoted a boycott against FS98. Guess what? FS98 broke all previous FS sales records, much to the dismay of their detractors and especially their "competition".I hope they see fit to re-write the FS helo and finally disconnect it completely from the Cessna and give us something a little more generic like they've done with the fixed-wing. It took 7 or 8 iterations of FS for the fixed-wing to evolve and I think the helo has a few more to go. Everyone wants in NOW but I doubt that's gonna happen. Bottom line: I'm not holding my breath. I'll gladly take whatever improvements they come up with but in the meantime, the default Jet Ranger is quite realistic at full realism and I can live with it. It has served me well.Calhover long and prosper

Sounds great, Hobbes. I hope you continue to build helo models.

Where can I download this program from? And what is the file name.

Guest Calb

It only works on aircraft made with AF5/Flight Shop or AF99 -- it will not do FSDS stuff.What it produces is very nearly useless. You will spend almost as much time sorting out the mess of reversed polygons and rescaling it as you would starting a project from scratch. At best, they might serve as a template -- but so do 3-view drawings.Your mileage may vary.I'd rather not post the filename or download location. Email me.Calhover long and prosper