Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

To give Ballistero something to read!

I am tickled pick with my 15 year old son's ability to sit down at FS2002 and immediately fly the bell helicopter and the other fixed wing aircraft. He is so smooth with the controls. This young man's only experience with flying is with a Mario game and race car driving.His old man, ME, has been around aviation for 40 years testing and evaluating, aircraft systems and procuring high end flight simulators. His aviation skills beat mine all too he-double hockey sticks!!He's the same way with golf!I am literally excited and proud of this aviation skills. I wonder if he'll want to get a real pilot's license??

Guest Frank Betts

Oh man that is a rare find Sir! You have to keep him interested in that. Must be nice to have that come naturally Good for your Son! Hey, get him his private licence if you can swing it. I got mine in 75 and have never looked back. It really exposes you to some really nice people.Frank B^)

Now this is certainly something to read here :-) If your son really wants to get a PPL, or even CPL (resp. phpl/CHPL), then give him a shot. I wish my father would have had those feelings watching me at my computer. Bad thing is, whenever i told him about my plans to become a REAL pilot, especially helicopter pilot, he always told me to stop dreaming and to become an adult, and choose a "real" job. Those were hurting experiences, because i felt like not taken serious. A guy in his late teens and early twenties can't afford getting his licenses by his own money or without parental support. I became a real estate salesman, which is pretty boring and far away from what i always wanted to do, so i quitted and go to college again (aeronautical and astronautical technology). I lost about 5 years on my way. I've got great parents, who gave a lot of support, but on this certain issue they disappointed me.If you're thinking about the bills now: Here in germany aviation is about as twice and triple more expensive as in the US. :-(Keep that ventilator above your head turning! :-rotorBallistero

That's outstanding, W. I've never heard of that happening before but kids have a way of surprising the older generation. Tell him to keep up the good work!

Thanks for all the positive responses. My first experience with helicopters was at an open house at the Military Air Force Base in Orlando, FL (now KMCO) in the 1950s. Of course, they had all the big bombers, tankers, etc. But I was more interested in the Bubble Bell helicopter. I must have set in that aircraft for hours.I go my chance to fly in helicopters (not pilot) in the 1960s with the U.S.Navy. They were getting these new HSS-2 (later SH-3A) twin turbine helicopters. I do have about 15min stick time (scared the heck out of the other crewman) in the SH-3A. Later spent 13 years in Maryland testing and evaluating improvements to the SH-3 Series of helicopters before moving back to Orlando to procure flight simulators for the U.S.Navy.I can understand the frustration of Ballistero, since I never did get my ppl, especially a helicopter license. To many other commitments in life, just interferred.

yeh, but can he hover 2ft above ground without moving?

Not yet, and has a hard time coming into a hover to land! One of the things I find interesting about his game playing approach, is his persistance without getting fed up with having to start over. He just starts over and keeps his cool. He doesn't throw the controller, curse at the screen, just cooly starts over until he tires of the game. He'll come back later and master the problem!I wish I had his coolness, Here's Me - "*%^$#@(*&^%%%%@#$:-mad

It sounds like you have a budding young IT Professional there :)...but come to think of it, ours throws stuff too :-lol