Sign in to follow this  

Realism of default 2002 chopper?

Just wondering how realistic this thing is as far as flying it goes...I've flown lots of helo sims... generally been able to manage what I was doing.But with all realism turned on in 2002, the way the helo flies.. well, if a real one was designed like this I have a strong feeling it would be back to the drawing board.Practice, maybe? Doubt it. I can't fly the thing, period... it goes wildly out of control in very short order!For the record, I CAN fly the choppers I've downloaded with almost no problems, on realistic setting... Though I can't get the Robinson to show up for some reason...Any help appreciated!Thanks,Andrew

Andrew,Set the General Realism to maximum and then click on the left arrow once. In other words, set it to once click less than maximum. There's a huge difference between max and one click less. Give it a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks!It never would have occurred to me to try that... off to try it!Andrew>Andrew, >>Set the General Realism to maximum and then click on the >left arrow once. In other words, set it to once click >less than maximum. There's a huge difference between >max and one click less. Give it a try. I think you'll be >pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, it was an epiphany when I found out about it. What a difference!

Yeah!The realism "one-notch-down" trick is amazing - what a difference.Now, I have to ask.. is full-realism just way too hard (but realistic), or is the one-notch-down setting more realistic? It sure feels a lot better to me.Thanks again.Andrew

I'm not sure how realistic it is at maximum since I've never flown a real helo. However, if a real helicopter is that sensitive it doesn't really matter because in a simulator you don't get the same visual cues and none of the motion cues that you would have in a real helo. In other words, you can't achieve enough realism with a PC based sim so I think what we have at one notch down is good enough. After all, you want to be able to get some enjoyment out of flying these things.

Guest Lindy

Thanks for asking the question, Andrew. And Peter, thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to remember it when I start with the helos in FS02 as well. Now, Peter, is making that Realism setting a global thing..... affecting all choppers? Or can you tweak the Realism settings separately for each chopper you fly? BTW Peter, you might want to mosey over to the BFU General forum and check out the pic of my new Hughes 500 amphib that I just installed. Haven't even flown it yet.-Lindy :-spacecraft

Guest Lindy

Well at least you can fly your downloaded choppers. I just jumped into mine (sent to me by a friend) and gave it a try. I used Peter's suggestion about the Realism setting, but it didn't help. No matter how cautiously I attempted the take off, the thing would start swinging like a pendulum after only a few seconds.I can fly the choppers in Fly!2 with moderate success, but at least that program has settings specific to helicopters. I tried to locate some options in FS2002 that were just for the choppers, but didn't find anything........ are there any such settings? I'm not a real world chopper pilot (although I have flown planes real world) so I guess I'll just keep plugging away at it. I think I have a tutorial around here someplace that might help me. But if anyone has some suggestions, advice, hints, I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks in advance. -Lindy :-spacecraft (<----could probably fly THIS easier than a helo)

Hi Lindy,just a few remarks then:The realism settings are for ALL aircraft in your folder. No specials per aircraft or for helos.There are some helo's that fly easier than others. Personally I like the Bell UH-1D by Jordan Moore (also in BFU livery), find it at AVSIM.Another one you GOT TO HAVE is the Bell 47G by a French gentleman Jean-Marie Mermaz. It flies like a dream !!!! Even for newbies such as me and you ;-).And for starters, I always put the realism sliders halfway. Once I got more confident with a chopper I would edge them to the right. For me actually flying around in the things is more important than to fly around with realism 100%... who knows anyway ?? ;-)Have fun,Francois :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest Lindy

Hi Francois :-waveYes, I've come to the same realization.....there are no specific settings in FS2002 just for the helos. Chalk up One for Fly!2.. :-lol I will also turn down the Realism when I fly my helos... correction, when I TRY to fly my helos. I want to fly around with them....not crash them as soon as they lift off!I'm pretty sure I already have that chopper by the French gentleman. My friend who sent me the helos, also sent a bunch of other goodies and I have one helo with French instructions, so I figure that must be it. ;-) I can't read the instructions though..... makes it difficult for me to install. I guess I can just drop the folder into my FS02 Aircraft folder, yes....er..uh...oui?? I also have an Update for it but I don't know where that's supposed to go. Could you maybe help me out a little, Francois.... pretty please? :-smooch -Linda :-rotor

Guest Lindy

Yes, I DO have the helo you're referring to and yes, I've got it installed. I even tried to fly it.... "tried" being the operative word here. :-lol But I didn't make any changes to the Realism settings and it DID seem less twitchy than my Hughes. I crashed it! but it seemed less twitchy.... :-lol -Lindy :-rotor wannabe

Guest Lindy

Oh sure, I have rudder pedals and yes, I have AutoRudder turned off. I'll master those choppers!...... eventually. In the meantime I've got a wonderful new SeaBee, also done in my livery. So at least I'll have something to fly jobs with while I earn money for those helo lessons. :-lol -Lindy :-rotor wannabe

Lindy,I'll go and check out your H500D livery. Meanwhile, be sure to config your joystick in FS to maximum sensitivity and zero deadzone. Note that the joystick settings are global to all aircraft too so you'll have to change them when you fly fixed-wing or the planes are too sensitive.

Guest Lindy

Thanks for the tip. But I can tell you already, I can't fly that sucker (or any helo in FS) unless I turn the Realism waaaaaay down. I will double check my sensitivity settings though.-Lindy :-rotor wannabe