Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lindy

Yokes for flying helos

Guest Lindy

Just this morning I've run across a couple of posts about using yokes instead of sticks for flying. I'm sure the posters were thinking "planes" as opposed to helos, but I wonder. From a couple of flight simming articles I've read recently, it was stated that you can't fly helos successfully using a yoke. I figured I'd come to the Experts and try to corroborate that sentence. So rotorheads.....how about it? What controls do you use to fly your helos?-Lindy :-rotor wannabe (I use a stick/pedals combo by preference)

Guest Airprox

Hi!Personally, I use a standard sidewinder joystick (not force feedback), and recently I took apart my old gameport joystick, and cobbled together a collective stick and rudder pedals. The rudder pedals need tweaking, but the collective works a treat!Basically, I'd recomend stick/pedals and anything alse you can cobble together. Don't use a yoke, it's hard to use with one hand on the yoke and the other on the collective/throttle, IMHO.Alun

No way I can fly a helo with a yoke !! :-eek Just doesn't feel right either.With the hotas (Saitek here) and pedals you can control most choppers... I cannot do it with a yoke and a throttle (collective) on top of it behind the 'wheel' :-( :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Definitely need HOTAS and rudder pedals (or twist stick). Rudder pedals are more "normal". I even prefer HOTAS for flying planes. I've seen photos of some jetliners and GA aircraft with HOTAS. Don't know if they're currently in production but they're on the right track.

Hi!I use a MS Force Feedback II with FF disabled and CH Pro Pedals (both are USB).I wouldn't think of using a yoke... not cool at all!Tom

Guest Frank Betts

Hey Lindy! Geez long time no hear. Actually I use the Virtual Pilot yoke and rudder pedals to crash with :-eek I just go ahead and admit it up front!

Guest Lindy

Good to see you're still around. I was at your website the other day and saw that alarming note about you giving up computers!!!!!!!! Must have gotten things straightened out, huh? I've been around all this time...... just been mostly in the Fly! and Pro Pilot forums. But as you can see, I'm branching out. :-hahIf you wanna take a look at my helo, the float version, go over to the BFU General forum. A pic is in the "I've got my helo installed" thread.I don't use a yoke for flying OR crashing...... just a stick and pedals. Work for me!! :-lol -Lindy :-rotor -in-waiting

Flying helo's with yoke's?These people should be dragged outside and beaten!!

People that fly helo's with a yoke should be dragged outside and beaten!!!

Actually some Robinson R22's have what's called a training yoke. Instead of two yokes for both pilots, there is one handlebar style yoke (like the one used on the Concorde) between the pilots. One pilot grabs down on one of the yoke handles (closest to them) while the other handle moves up. If the other pilot wants to take over, he/she pulls down on their handle. I had a tough time getting used to it on a intro flight. Robert

This is no training yoke, this is actually in all Robinson helis. the R22 and the R44, both use that bicycle-stick. Even though they managed to implement a governor and hydraulics, they still haven't seen a real helicopter... :-)Keep that ventilator above your head turning!Ballistero