Sign in to follow this  

Away Off Topic.... Internet Robbery

Guest Bob I

Hi,I was at my computer yesterday, when receipts for items that I did not purchase started to fill my mail box. Someone in Denmark managed to get my password, to a well known company in the USA, that is a go-between for buyers and sellers of items on the internet. They got me for $274.00 USD before I got them stopped. I had to cancel my credit card to stop them. Do any of you fine folks know how they did this, and is there anything that can be done to stop them? The company that they hit me through is at a loss as to how to stop them, and indicated that it's a loosing battle, and it may bring internet buying to it's knees. The only good news is that my credit card company will absorb the loss. What a shame.....Bob I

quite easy.as we simmers work hard for addons, so do hackers.its the same as we, the second a new msfs is out, start thinkin our heads hot on how to make like shiny textures.the hackers, the second a new security tool is out, start workin around it. the nice thing is, that most GOOD hackers get the leak, and thats it. just plebbies and idiots start stealin money from people, and that mostly with programms OTHER people have produced. :(anyway, happy for you the credit card company takes the loss.

>The company that they hit me through is at a loss as to how to stop >them, and indicated that it's a loosing battle, and it may bring >internet buying to it's knees. The only good news is that my credit >card company will absorb the loss. What a shame.....It certainly won't adversly affect internet buying, that is here to stay.Internet CC transactions pose no greater security risk than other types of CC transactions.The same thing happens to non internet transactions, the risk is the same.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

I agree. The risks are similar to giving your credit card to a stranger at a restaurant or a software store.In either case, it would be nice if you could find out who did it and beat them to death without risk of legal repercussion.

Guest Bob I

Hi,I'm sure you guys are right, even if the loss was as high as 10 percent, it would have no effect on the buying public. No wonder the CC folks charge 18 percent. Thanks for your replys.Bob

>Hi, >>I'm sure you guys are right, even if the loss was as high as >10 percent, it would have no effect on the buying public. No >wonder the CC folks charge 18 percent. You pay 18% on your credit card? Now that is robbery! Interest rates in the US are the lowest for years, surely the credit card companies can't be charging that much?

here in switzerland BY LAW youre not allowed to take more than 18% :D