Sign in to follow this  
Guest emergency_pants

Home-made heli controls

Guest emergency_pants

Hi,I was wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction on how to go about converting an old MS Sidewinder joystick )(not forcefeedback) into a heli control setup.I'm figuring that I could place the joystick base on the floor and then attach a stick to the handle. I think perhaps this would create a fantastic, sensitive setup for heli control... and light GA plane controls too.The biggest problem is transferring the rudder setup (twist handle) and redirecting it to an alternative control... pedals maybe... or something on the stick? Do you think the twist handle would still be useable? I'm doubtful, but if anyone has tried it, I'd be interested to hear some comments.Cheers,Simon.

Guest Skymed

If you wait a few more weeks, I am in the process of finalising a design to do just this.It will give all controls (including pedals and collective) to a stock, un-modified twist stick joystick.Will post the design on AVSIM when completed.

Guest emergency_pants

Fantastic... I'll keep my eyes peeled for your notes. Thanks for the help.Simon.

Guest Airprox

Just a word of incouragment (is that spelt right?).I have a USB standard Sidewinder sitting on my desk, which I use as a cyclic, however, without any electronic skills (apart from common sense) and limited, ahem... carpentry skills, I've managed to turn my old gameport stick into a collecive lever and rudder pedals. I have to say that they work suprisingly well.I'll not bore you with the details, as it was just a rehash of info that I found the other site, and after a search on google. Given the stick your going to use I'd say wait for Skymed to release his design.Anyway, just to say, It is quite straight forward, if a little fiddly!Good luck, and let us know how you get on.Alun