Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lindy

Dumb newbie question

Guest Lindy

Up until now, I've been working just on getting my choppers in the air and back on the ground without hitting anything, crashing the helo, or killing myself. ;-) But yesterday while doing some serious practicing, I decided to actually FLY my helo to another location.... not far, but away from where I started. Boy! did my arm get tired holding pressure on the stick. I take it there is no trim control for the cyclic/elevator like on a plane? If there IS.... how do I get it to work? If not.... I sure hope someone invents one someday. :-lol -Lindy :-rotor in training :-wave

nope, your're right, there is no trip control in fs2002, its too bad since in (some) real helicopters there is trip even though its not trim per-se, its force magnets in the cyclic.Also, don't grip the stick to tight, real pilots fly with jsut the pressure of their finger tips, but with joysticks for computer u really can't do that unless u take out the spring but thats another story.Ryan

Guest ben_

LindyIf you want to practice with trim, you can use your Fly!2 helicopter.Hit the X key and it will show the position and trim of collective, cyclic, etc. You may need to go to the keys and buttons menu for the helicopter to set the key combination you like.Ben

Lindy,perhaps you're holding the joystick as in "top gun"?look at the pics over at hoversafe. just hold the stick at the fundament, using just pressure from fingers. here's hoversafe (you've probably been there before!):http://members.shaw.ca/hoversafe/Hoversafe.htmhere's a direct link to how to hold joystick:http://members.shaw.ca/hoversafe/Images/Grip4.jpgjust my two cents..//Leif "Still_Hovering" Almberg

Guest Lindy

Yep... been there (several times) and am using just a very light touch with two fingers and thumb. I have learned that much. ;-) But the stick I use is very much self-centering (Saitek Cyborg 3D stick). I don't have room on my desk so the stick sets in my lap. I steady it and operate the throttle with the left hand while guiding the stick with the right hand. The movements of the cyclic are VERY small, but the pressure of continuously holding the stick forward or backward is extremely tiring after about 15 minutes. I don't feel it so much while flying as until after I've set down (or crashed as the case may be :-lol) and let go of the stick. Ben... funny you should mention using the Fly!2 choppers to practice with. I was actually able to fly them at one tine. Then I started with FS2K2. When I went back to the Fly!2 chopper just to see the difference and I couldn't fly it any more!!! Yes, perhaps I WILL spend a little more time with Fly!2's helo.....in many ways, they are set up in a superior fashion to FS's helos.But it would sure be nice to have some trim on the FS choppers. -Lindy :-rotor in training :-wave p.s. I'm not even REALLY complaining. I'm having a great time learning to operate the helicopters in FS; just making an observation and wanted to know if there actually WAS trim and I was just not seeing it, somehow.

Hi Lindy,Unfortunatley, no trim on these helos. There's always the need for active adjustment of the cyclic and collective even when you're flying straight and level and especially if there's wind. Some really fancy choppers have autopilot in order to deal with the constant work.I've heard real chopper pilots say that they anchor their elbow against their side while flying. For sim flying, if you plan on staying in the air for long periods of time, consider removing the springs in the stick or at least tie a couple turns of the spring together so you have a physical dead zone where there's no resistance.