Sign in to follow this  

Flying the Dauphin 2: Very Hard

I can fly any chopper that has ever been uploaded onto the internet. The 206, the AS-350, the CH-46, I can stop on a dime, hover over the same building for over 30 min straight, I can put the UH-1 down in between two houses that are separated by only 5 more feet than the span of the rotor, but when I try to fly this Dauphin 2 I look like a bumbling idiot. I must be doing somthing wrong, is there a switch that I am not flicking correctly or an autopilot that is setup wrong or what? I can NOT put this thing down going less that 30 kts, or else I just cant control it. I tried substituting another .Air file to see if it helps, but I couldnt get the dang thing off the ground (no doubt because the .Air file is not suited for a two engined beast.) So, I was wondering if there was a small change I could put in the .Air file to make it a little more docile. Or, if there is somthing a should be pushing in the cockpit to make it easier to control. Other than that, it is the best add-on I have on my comp right now!Please help.

As soon as I started up FS after writing my post, the thing flys like an angel.(Albeit a little sensitive on the the cyclic angel) I have learned to land the Dauphin on a dime, and I feel that this is the greatest helicopter if not the best flying machine available for download. I used the dauphin sounds available here, and the reflections and other features are extraordinary, especially the VC. The VC is without a doubt the best I have seen. (I havent seen the new airbus VC so, until then......) A GREAT DOWNLOAD.It geats the PHXPilot award of excellence!

Guest Airprox

Glad to see you got it working, as it is a fantastic aircraft, and has set a new standard in helicopter design. A lot of people seem to be having problems with it at the moment and this seems to be a problem with the .gau file not coping with some controllers, but I believe Antti is on the case. As for some of the other complaints I've seen "It's too complicated" "The documents aren't very good" "I can't get this ,that and the other to work"... in my opinion this is the most realistic helicopter I've ever seen, And I think people are expecting to be able to fly it without getting used to the basic systems first, give it time and learn from the bottom up. Would you expect to be able to go to your nearest airport and jump into a helicopter and fly it perfectly? (That last statement is NOT directed at PHXPilot!)

If anyone has it working with the WINGMAN STRIKE FORCE 3d and CH pedals - would you email me the cfg file - at vatusa4@vatusa.org -as I have been scratching my head for about 6 hrs now and am about to autorotate it into the gulf Richard GreenVATUSA4Events and VA Director

Guest Airprox

Have a look at www.hut.fi/~apankkon/fsim/help.html it might helpAlun

Nope and even an email from the author hasnt helped - Guess I may be doomed to a life of hand flying - Richard GreenVATUSA4Events and VA Director

Let me know if you still have problems with the set-up. This helo was the thing that tipped the scales for me, so I went and bought the stick you use. I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest Aidi

I would go as far as saying, if you got the pan_view command working on the POV then the beep_trim will also work. First thing you need to do is ensure you have the G.Spd button illumninated on the pedistal panel. I found that on my pov, it took a few seconds for the heli to react to the command, experiment a little more keeping the pov fully fwd and see if you get some movemnet.http://www.avsim.com/vfr_center/avsim_sig.jpg

Thanks Aidi, the tip about holding the pov depressed a little while longer worked fine! I was just going to write that given the choice between pan_view and beep_trim, I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest Aidi

Glad thats now working for you. I know what you mean about the pan view, pitty there isnt away to toggle the fuctionality of the POV to allow both commands to be used... that would be the best of both worlds! http://www.avsim.com/vfr_center/avsim_sig.jpg

Heh, actually I woke up at 7.30 this wonderful Sunday morning and thought, "Hmm, if the helo works with two control devices, why not three?". So, I booted the comp, inserted the USB-plug for my yoke and checked what order it showed up as (no. 3). After having edited the .cfg I started up FS2k2 and it sure worked. Fabulous, especially since I don

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest Airprox

The low_realism_setting was introduced because during testing the Hover mode became unstable on some computers (mine!), Antti played around with various settings; dampers, scalars and other things I don't understand. Eventually we realised that Antti had designed it with the realism setting on max, and I was testing on about 3/4. Soooo... in theory, if you use a setting lower than max, the hover might be unstable, if you add the low_realism_setting line it should stablise the hover even with the General Realism setting below max.You said that you tried maxing out the General Realism and the hover became unstable, was that with or without the low_realism_setting included? Either way, If your getting a stable hover without the line and General Realism below max, go for it. The line is only meant to effect the above scenario.Hope that helps!!!Alun

Thank you for the explanation. The unstability occurs without the low_rel setting on max general realism. Just one notch reduction of the general realism and the thing handles perfectly on and off autopilot... Again, thank

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden