Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steven Stratton

re: Pre-flight "freeware"

I have seen more than a few Pre-Flight news items come across the wire over the last few weeks.I have two problems with these blurbs: (1) they aren't really flight simulation news items - they are *R/C* simulation news items, which I have not seen before on Avsim over the last five or more years, and (2) they are not really "freeware" since the hosting application is, as far as I can tell, a payware product (notwitstanding than the "free" demo version). Therefore, I will submit that these items are mis-represented and not really germane to what most folks here are interested in.My cynical side tells me that advertising revenue is involved, but I hope that I'm proven wrong.cheers,Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Guest Staggerwing

Hi Dave,This is just my own opinion as a member and not an official Avsim reply.. no idea right off if this is freeware or a commercial product they bought space for... someone from that department will reply I'm sure.There is a large and increasing number of us that fly radio controlled aircraft and are members of Avsim, we even have a forum devoted to it, more and more R/Cers are using simulators for various reasons.I have to say, an R/C simulator does simulate flight, you just view the flight from the ground and the aircraft are smaller.. (or even full size if you like them that large) :-) Some even let you fly from the cockpit if you don't want to simulate R/C flight.Also have to add, IMO, I'm glad there are commercial software/hardware places that DO buy advertisements and blurbs on Avsim, otherwise members might just have to foot the bills around here. :-eek Best,

OK, point taken about "simulating flight". Perhaps what rankles me about these news items is that I see "freeware airplane" listed in the headlines of the main page; historically most if not all freeware aircraft mentioned there have been for MSFS. All in all I suppose this is a minor thing but I've never been one to hold back my opinion when something annoys me 8^) .FWIW I own the Realflight R/C simulator, and have considered delving into the hobby more times than I can count... But it's not like I need yet another expensive pastime.cheers,Dave.>Hi Dave,>>This is just my own opinion as a member and not an official>Avsim reply.. no idea right off if this is freeware or a>commercial product they bought space for... someone from that>department will reply I'm sure.>>There is a large and increasing number of us that fly radio>controlled aircraft and are members of Avsim, we even have a>forum devoted to it, more and more R/Cers are using simulators>for various reasons.>>I have to say, an R/C simulator does simulate flight, you just>view the flight from the ground and the aircraft are smaller..>(or even full size if you like them that large) :-) >>Some even let you fly from the cockpit if you don't want to>simulate R/C flight.>>Also have to add, IMO, I'm glad there are commercial>software/hardware places that DO buy advertisements and blurbs>on Avsim, otherwise members might just have to foot the bills>around here. :-eek >>Best,

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

Guest jbinner

Advertising, IN NO WAY, influences the choices editors make on our front page and other areas of the site. When something comes across as a "blatant" ad for a product, it is marked as such. You have seen this before from our own AVSIM store posting with ADVERTISEMENT at the beginning of the news.WE DO NOT take payment for our news area. We DO NOT sell ads in these areas. The ads are the top 3 areas, 2 skyscraper areas, and various simword areas around the pages. WE WILL NEVER sell space in our news section. Period.Hope this is clear enough.

My apologies for letting my cynicism get the best of me, then.best regards,Dave.

Guest Staggerwing

Dave,Again, just me speaking and not official reply from Avsim here...Well, it might be something made to work within a "payware" title, but the aircraft file is "freeware" if there is no charge for it. A free "Demo" seems pretty much always an advertisement/request to buy some "Payware" title in the end. I'm sure we can find exceptions, but I'm speaking in basic terms.You also have to keep in mind that if something is made for "FS" you really can't expect that it is for "MSFS" there are several other fight sims out there and all are used by someone that enjoys finding a new add-on listed.You need to stop by the R/C forum here at Avsim and post some... it could really use the traffic and we might just figure a way for you to start your R/C flying without spending a bundle. You can get started on the low end and still have loads of fun :-)>OK, point taken about "simulating flight". Perhaps what>rankles me about these news items is that I see "freeware>airplane" listed in the headlines of the main page;>historically most if not all freeware aircraft mentioned there>have been for MSFS. >>All in all I suppose this is a minor thing but I've never been>one to hold back my opinion when something annoys me 8^) .>>FWIW I own the Realflight R/C simulator, and have considered>delving into the hobby more times than I can count... But it's>not like I need yet another expensive pastime.>>cheers,>>Dave.

Guest Steven Stratton

Dave, I have posted a couple of these news items, and have edited them accordingly to remove material which might be seen as advertising. Whilst the R/C Simulator may be payware, as has been said, the files that the news items pertains to are indeed freeware. Personally, I would rather have seen one news release that included all freeware files that are now available, but, that is my opinion.Kind Regards,Steven Stratton,News Editor,AVSIM Online