Sign in to follow this  

Too many Problems with the Dauphin

Guest emergency_pants

Edit: forget it, it'll fall on deaf ears anyway.george, that last post was condescending and offensive.Simon.

The Dauphin was very interesting and innovative and a good deal of work (and support) was forthcoming from the author, notwithstanding his excellent design work.... but....In reality, leave it for a Month (went on vacation), come back and it suddenly became a real frustration to fly it! (allover).....I prefer to (virtually speaking) climb in, run up the the engines and increase collective and away I go (in this virtual world)... I have enough frustrations trying to keep ahead of the graphics-drivers!I guess I'm just a simple 'huey-crop-duster' at heart :)If the Dauphin is your 'Nirvana' then fantastic!(Now dont get me wrong I'm not knocking it in any way - I also prefer cars that dont have complex computers in them!)

>Edit: forget it, it'll fall on deaf ears anyway. >>george, that last post was condescending and offensive. >>Simon. I don't think so at all. It is the people that are getting frustrated because they can't just "hop in and take off" like they are used to that are being offensive. I had some problems at first, but it works awesome for me now!. I have noticed that there are 2 types of people that use FS2002, the first type get the slightest bit upset if the airfile is wrong, you call it a game, if it isn't a "real-world" livery , or if the model doesn't live up to their "expectations". The second type enjoy it for what it is worth. I have seen numerous posts from designers about wanting to quite designing because of demands put on them by the ungrateful FS public that tend to criticize what they get for free out of the goodness of someone elses labor. This helo, finished or not, was labor intensive and given to you for your enjoyment. These posts were put here to help with people that are having problems with the Dauphin and hopefully many of them solved them due to the help they got from posting, If you feel like bashing someones work, try loading FS98 and fly around in it for awhile, not the same, but more some peoples speed obviously. My two cents in general!Michael

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Lindy

Both types of virtual pilots are valid, IMO. I too tend to be a "jump in and go" kinda flyer. But sometimes I also enjoy a challenge, and the Dauphin certainly provided one for me. I don't even use its auto pilot functions. I was just happy to get it flying and be able to land it in one piece! But I was NOT going to let it get the better of me.I've got to the point now where I CAN pretty much just "jump in and fly" so I'm happy with it. But yes, it did take some effort. And I never thought of it as "unfinished." -Lindy :-wave

Guest emergency_pants

Sorry Michael... it wasn't the point being made that I was talking about, rather the way it was put. I thoroughly see the point you both raise. But as mentioned before, each to their own. We all have our own preferences and time constraints on which we base our opinions on... and in my case it is predominantly a matter of available free time, hence I find it difficult to find time to tweak things and make changes (see the topic entitled "Dauphin - What Works and What Doesn't"), when all I want to do is practice. I have stacks of fantastic stuff here on my hard drive. I know it's great stuff and it really should be unzipped and installed! I find myself not bothering and flying one of my nice payware planes instead. It's a way more satisfying way to spend the odd 1/2 hour than looking at dauphin cfg files, I feel. I probably would be better off investing some time in getting this heli working and learning its ins-and-outs, but that's my decision, isn't it? And despite what other might think, it certainly doesn't make me WRONG.Perhaps I shouldn't have been so critical in the first instance? I don't think I was. But to be honest, why shouldn't I voice an opinion on what I think about something without being talked down to and/or offended!!!!!!"All I read here is negative comments from people who have probably never rode in the back of a "real" Dauphin and seen the "real" operation of this ship.""...idiots who are very unlikely to have ever created anything to share with the chopper community and very unlikely to ever do so.""Grow up or go home."Do you think I'm being over critical by calling these comments offensive and/or condescending? I find these to be qualitative statements, despite the writer not knowing a damn thing about me/us/whoever they're aimed at. They're statements based on opinions read on a forum... which really doesn't make anyone an idiot, under-aged, unqualified or non-contributary. Some people should be careful before shooting their mouth off to people they know NOTHING ABOUT!!!!I'm not stupid, Michael, and I know when I'm being talked AT by someone, rather that talking with someone, you know?Anyway... I would agree that it's a matter of preference. I see yours and good on ya. You guys have the time, patience, perseverance and skill to fly the heli. I don't. Is that ok with you guys or do I need a note from my mum??????? LOL... sorry, I couldn't resist a touch of sarcasm there!Simon.

"American way of thinking"? #####? Regardless of your heritage, one thing remains constant with this Helo... Free of charge = a bit of effort on your part. Annti did the hard part of developing this helo.. for free - now it is your turn to earn the privilage of flying it by spending a small amount of time to make it work with the hardware of YOUR computer.If you are not capable of reading the docs, understanding, asking for help, and configuring this helo, you have not earned the right to fly it, and you CERTAINLY dont have any right to complain about it. After the hundreds of hours Annti spent building this helo you can spend a few of your own to figure it out... if you cant, then go away and shut your pie hole.The Dauphin is not unfinished, Annti went as far as he could. In order for him to "finish" this project he would have had to buy all of the possible hardware, (different joysticks, peddels, etc) himself and create config files for each and every possibility... a very unrealistic prospect indeed.So, learn it, understand it, configure it, and fly it - just like the rest of us who love it did.

Guest emergency_pants

I'm fed up with the "holier than thou" attitude on this heli forum. The conceit is unbelievable. And the blinkers are unbearable. I'm off... there is a very unwelcoming and stifling feel to this helihole. I'm sure you'll say "good riddance", which is fine with me.Tata,Si.

We do not have a "holier than thou" attitude... We're simply sick of hearing people who are not putting in their fair share of effort to configure the Dauphin bash Annti and works. And Simon, what sort of "touchy-feely" coddling crap would you like to hear from us after you've said... "I have neither the time or the inclination to tinker with this helicopter for an eternity, trying to get it to work. If it doesn't work properly, I don't touch it. Despite being a great model and probably a great airfile too, I removed it from my drive... it's not finished." You removed it from your drive, and your sick of the Dauphin posts... Why are you in this thread??????Yup, good riddance, be gone, because the less that lazy folks like you whine, the more likely people like Annti will put forth more great work.Sorry if I have truely offended anyone... I am just completly sick of folks bashing and nit-picking freeware designers for their efforts. It's going on all over the place and it needs to stop. It's free, if you dont like it then delete it, but at the very least respect the author's efforts by keeping your mouth shut with nasty comments.

Guest emergency_pants

Yeah... your right, I should have just kept my trap shut. I'm lazy (like you have any idea the bloody hours I work!!!) and I have a bad mouth. I'm a hypocrite and offensive at it. My opinions are wrong and I have no valid input. Oh well. I might as well bugger off then.Anyway... I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Especially the author of the Dauphin.See ya, I won't come back.Simon.

After reading all the forums I could find, the Dauphin is now behaving itself.However, I have never been able to get the sounds to work. The manualstates:" Find some decent Dauphin sounds and copy the internal and external sound files to the 'sound' folder as he4.wav and xhe4.wavDo not modify or replace sound.cfg. Read the rest of this document."What do all these contradictory statements mean?I have tried every sound set for helos that I could lay my hands on.No luck. Anyone have the answer?Thanks.Vrystaat!

Hi there Vrystaat.Let me try to help you out here.Do a search for Dauphin sounds and download them. If memory serves me there were some posts soon after the helo was released where people listed some of their favourites. When you look and listen through those sounds you

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden