Sign in to follow this  
Peter Clark

ATC sends me on wrong course and won't let me correct?

On more than several occasions when flying IFR flight plan ATC has sent me in the wrong direction and then ignores me.I continue on thinking ATC will finally change my course but it doesn't happen.When I try to correct to the proper heading ATC tells me to expedite my turn to assigned heading.This happens at Boston,Laguardia, and San Diego so for.Anyone else experience this?Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

First time this happened to me was between Little Rock, AR and Austin, TX. Darn thing turned me to a southeasterly heading and kept me there until darn nearly the Louisiana state line when I decided to cancel IFR and do the rest myself.From what I've gathered in my case (and others have confirmed), if the first waypoint on your flight plan is too close to your departure airport (and I've not yet figured out where that "too close" value is) you can wind up on that bad vector forever. When I use the FS flight planner, I've become very careful to delete the first waypoint if it's within about 10 miles of the departure airfield.That's what works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the info.After posting my question I found another post basically stating the same thing.Advice from someone was to acknowledge atc handoff but not radio handoff,go to correct course and then check in with atc. I will try that tonight with a flight from San Diego to Phoenix that lead me astray twice last night.Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

I've also found that if you 'miss' a waypoint in your plan, ATC will try and vector you back to it even though you flew over it.If I get a strange vector from the inbuilt ATC I'll jump into the nav log window real quick and show that it's logged me over all the waypoints that I think I've covered to that part of my flight.Good luck!P