Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

This never happened before...FPS drops from 26 to 14...

Guest abent

I just had to end a flight because my FPS dropped way down and the sound started to vibrate/stutter - if that makes sense. Up until this point the system has been working brillaintly.I was using one of Radar Contacts v.2.2 sample (KDFW to KMIA) with DreamFleet 734. Everything was going great:I had the FMC minimized and had done a Direct-To and a couple deviations for weather, altitude changes etc. I was just about to enter a holding pattern with ATC for the first time. :-yellow1 Then, suddenly, FPS drop and sound started to reverberate and sound tinny (for lack of a better description) :-8 . I checked FreeRam and it said I had 91 MB left.I'm sort of in the midst of a computer upgrade:Old sys:Gigabyte mbWD 20 Gig HDD1.1 AthlonGeForce 2 Ultra 64786 PC-133 Micron RAMWinMeNew sys:MSI 648 MAX mbWD 20 Gig HDD (same HDD)P4 2.4 512 DDR RAMGeForce 2 Ultra 64 (Soon to be GeForce4 TI4200 - have it but it won't work right now with the board - soon to go to shop the though)WinMeSome things I've been told:1) The MSI board needs a BIOS update.2) The chipset drivers were VIA and need to be changed to SIS which the new mobo uses.I don't know if the above 2 factors have anything to do with my FPS/sound stutter probs or not.Does anyone know what might be causing this. It's freaking me out!Thanks, Adam

Guest abent

Hi Adam...Oh Hi Adam... :( Yes, it seems that it has happened yet again. I did another flight and my FPS were fine until about an hour into the flight, then they started dropping until I was at 8 FPS on arrival to SFO. I rebooted my computer and went back to SFO with the exact same settings, weather, time, runway and what da ya know...20 FPS.This is looking like a throwback to the days of Fly!2.So, anyone, do you have any suggestions?I checked FreeRam and this time I had 78 MB left.Could this be a RAM problem? I have 512. Surely that's enough???Also, another question:Can someone knowledgeable about computers tell me how video RAM is used. If I go from My GeForce2 Ultra to the GeForce4 TI4200, will the extra 64MB of RAM make a difference.Maybe I'm overloading my GF2???Thanks, Adam

Guest abent

HI again Adam, Oh HI how ya doin'?... Maybe we should see a shrink... *:-*Anyway...I did a 4 hour flight last night, without Radar Contact sample. I had no ATC, just let the plane fly across the US by itself and periodically monitored the FPS. It stayed rock solid at 25.6 FPS every time I checked. Can't figure it out...I'm guessing by the lack of responses, no one else is having this problem. I'd hate to think it was related to Radar Contact. But I guess further investigation must be done.Adam

Hi Adam,I too have had this issue, although not with RC, but have noted a hit to fps and sound stutters, always after a long flight, and always when ATC (FS2002) is about to "talk" to me. FS has finally "crashed" on both occasions. I've also has FSMeteo working, and had thought on the several occasions that perhaps a wx update to FS from FSMetoe was also occuring. My machine:Windows XPP4- 1.8G NorthwoodABit BD7 II512M PC-2100 DDRGeForce 3 Ti200 64M video card.Imbedded sound card, NIC.Sorry I can't offer a solution, but your sysmptoms are similar to mine.Bruce.KBJC, Jeffco, CO.

Guest abent

Hey...Who said you guys could enter this thread? :-grr :-lol Bruce, I too was using FSMeteo, but with the "use weather offline option", as I always do. I wonder if FSMeteo is, in some manner, contributing to this.As I mentioned, a 4 hour flight without FSMeteo and Radar Contact and all was well...OH well, I guess we (others included ;) ) would have heard about this before considering the myriad people using FSMeteo and RC.Thanks, Adam

Adam....Have you tried the simple "rename FS2002.cfg to FS2002.old" trick? Perhaps some odd setting has been changed. You could try that, then fly around FS for an hour or two in a default aircraft, and see if the problem returns. If it does...then exit FS2002, and delete the new config FS2002 will have created, and restore the .old config file. If the problem is gone, then you know it's an odd setting in FS2002.cfg...-John

Guest abent

John, That is a good idea. I think I will give it a try.Thanks, Adam